Potential Difference in Circuits

In summary, the significance of the statement is that the negative terminal of battery E_1 is connected to point b, and at the lower end of resistance R_2, the potential difference is 6V. This information can be used to calculate the current and voltage in the circuit.
DriggyBoy
In the picture that i attached
i need some help
In the book it says
''' The negative terminal of the battery E_1 is connected to b. So at the lower end of the resistance R_2 the pd is 6V. "'
What is the significance of this statement?

Attachments

• physx_forums.png
    physx_forums.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
where's the picture?

check attachments

Does it give values for R1 and R2? Is there a ground point in the circuit?

R_1 is 2 ohm
nd R_2 is 4 ohm

I just can't grasp what you are getting at. Are you saying why the pd between the negative end of E1 and the lower end of resistor R2 is claimed to be 6v?

DriggyBoy said:
In the picture that i attached
i need some help
In the book it says
''' The negative terminal of the battery E_1 is connected to b. So at the lower end of the resistance R_2 the pd is 6V. "'
What is the significance of this statement?

The statement is a bit sloppy because it uses "PD", which should explicitly specify two points in the circuit, between which there is a Difference in Potential.
If E2 is a 6V battery then, relative to point b, how can the Potential be anything but 6V? It's just stating the obvious, really, and can be used as a start in calculating the current and volts around the network.

Related to Potential Difference in Circuits

1. What is potential difference in circuits?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is responsible for the flow of electrical current.

2. How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the amount of electrical energy by the amount of electrical charge. It can also be calculated by multiplying the current in a circuit by the resistance.

3. How does potential difference affect current?

Potential difference is directly proportional to current, meaning that an increase in potential difference will result in an increase in current. This is known as Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is potential difference, I is current, and R is resistance.

4. What is the role of potential difference in circuit components?

Potential difference plays a crucial role in the function of circuit components. It provides the energy needed for electrons to flow through the circuit, and the amount of potential difference can determine the brightness of a bulb or the speed of a motor.

5. How can potential difference be changed in a circuit?

Potential difference can be changed by altering the current or resistance in the circuit. It can also be changed by using a voltage source, such as a battery or power supply, to provide a specific amount of potential difference.