Potential difference in a sphere relative to infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential relative to infinity at location B, a distance of a/3 from the center of a thin plastic spherical shell with a charge of -Q. The method used involves applying the Shell theorem and taking into account the negative charge of the shell. The resulting integral is -1/4πεQ/a.
dincerekin

Homework Statement

A thin plastic spherical shell of radius a is rubbed all over with wool and gains a charge of -Q. What is the potential relative to infinity at location B, a distance a/3 from the centre of the sphere?

Homework Equations

[tex] \text{$\Delta $V}=\int _{\text{initial}}^{\text{final}}{E}.d{l} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

since the potential difference between any 2 points in a spherical shell is 0, point B can be anywhere in the sphere (it doesn't have to be a/3 from the centre).

so if we take point B as a point, an infinitesimal distance away from the shell (still inside the shell)

then we can treat the shell as a point charge:
[tex] \text{$\Delta $V}=\int _{\infty }^a\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon }\frac{Q}{r^{2}}dr [/tex]

which just gives:
[tex] \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon }\frac{Q}{a} [/tex]i don't think this answer is right. So, wheres the flaw in my logic, and how are you meant to do this question?

(edit: the epsilons are meant to have a 0 subscript)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it is wrong??

To be honest, I think that's the correct method. What you did was basically apply the Shell theorem and it does hold for any spherical shell with symmetric charge density...

well, i thought my answer was too simple/easy to be right i guess.

You have to take into account that the sphere has a charge of -Q not +Q, otherwise it's fine

Sleepy_time said:
You have to take into account that the sphere has a charge of -Q not +Q, otherwise it's fine

there should be a negative sign before this integral and the charge is negative. two negatives make a positive

[tex] \text{$\Delta $V}=\int _{\infty }^a\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon }\frac{Q}{r^{2}}dr [/tex]

Yeah sorry, I just meant it for completeness I agree with the integral just if you do the integral you get an overall negative sign, which is helpful if you want to work out the work done moving this charge from infinity to a for example.

Looks good. But the integral of 1/r2 is -1/ r, so the answer will have opposite sign of what you wrote. The potential is negative near a negative charge.

Related to Potential difference in a sphere relative to infinity

1. What is potential difference in a sphere relative to infinity?

Potential difference in a sphere relative to infinity is the difference in electrical potential between a point on the surface of a sphere and an infinite distance away from the sphere.

2. How is potential difference calculated in a sphere relative to infinity?

The potential difference in a sphere relative to infinity can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential difference, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the sphere's center to the point at infinity.

3. What does potential difference in a sphere relative to infinity tell us?

Potential difference in a sphere relative to infinity provides information about the strength of the electric field around the sphere and the amount of work required to move a unit charge from the surface of the sphere to infinity.

4. How does potential difference in a sphere relative to infinity affect the behavior of charged particles?

The potential difference in a sphere relative to infinity determines the direction and magnitude of the electric field, which in turn affects the motion of charged particles near the sphere. The particles will experience a force in the direction of the electric field and will move towards or away from the sphere depending on their charge.

5. Can potential difference in a sphere relative to infinity change?

Yes, potential difference in a sphere relative to infinity can change if the charge or distance of the sphere is altered. The potential difference will increase if the charge or distance increases, and decrease if the charge or distance decreases.