Potential difference formula

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a point charge and two points, a and b, located at a specific distance from the charge. The first part involves finding the difference in electric potential between points b and a, while the second part involves determining the difference in electric field between the two points. The formula Vb-Va=(EPEb/q)-(EPEa/q) is used to solve the problem, but the speaker is unsure how to find V. It is suggested to simplify the formula by filling in the electric potential energy at a point and using it to simplify the given formulas.
Mhchurch4
1. Consider point a which is 70 cm north of a -4.2 µC point charge, and point b which is 74 cm west of the charge (Fig. 17-23).
(a) Determine Vba = Vb - Va.
(b) Determine Eb - Ea.
Magnitude
Direction (counterclockwise from east is positive)

2. Vb-Va=(EPEb/q)-(EPEa/q)

3. I thought I would use that formula since that is what I need, but I don't know how to get V. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
That formula is correct but work simplify it a little bit.

What is the electric potential energy at a point equal to? If you know, then fill that into the formulas you have to simplify. If you can do this you should end up with some workable formulas.

I would suggest using the formula V = kq/r, where V is the potential difference, k is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the two points. In this case, you can calculate the potential difference at point a and point b using this formula and then subtract them to get the difference Vb - Va. Similarly, you can use the formula E = kq/r^2 to calculate the electric field at each point (a and b) and then subtract them to get the difference Eb - Ea. Remember to pay attention to the signs and directions of the charges and distances to ensure accurate calculations. I hope this helps!

Related to Potential difference formula

1. What is the formula for potential difference?

The formula for potential difference, also known as voltage, is V = IR, where V is the potential difference in volts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms.

2. How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by multiplying the current in a circuit by the resistance of the circuit. This can be represented by the formula V = IR.

3. What is the unit of measurement for potential difference?

The unit of measurement for potential difference is volts, which is represented by the letter V. Other common units for potential difference are millivolts (mV) and kilovolts (kV).

4. What does the potential difference formula represent?

The potential difference formula represents the relationship between the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. It is used to calculate the potential difference across a circuit element, such as a resistor or a battery.

5. How does potential difference affect electric current?

Potential difference is directly proportional to electric current. This means that as the potential difference increases, the current also increases. This relationship is represented by the formula I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the potential difference, and R is the resistance.