Potential Difference: Comparing Positive & Negative Charges

In summary, potential difference is defined as the change in potential energy per unit charge. When calculating potential differences, it is assumed that the test charge is positive. If a negative charge is used, it would result in a negative potential difference. However, the potential itself does not depend on the charge, only the work done on the charge does.
breez
By convention, potential difference is defined as the [tex]\frac{W}{q_0}[/tex], where [tex]q_0 > 0[/tex] correct? When computing potential differences in my textbook, states in the derivation of the relationship that [tex]V_f - V_i = \[ \int_i^f E\dot ds\][/tex] by assuming a positive charge. From the relationships of potential and charge, seems if we used a negative charge, we would compute negative values of difference of potential in comparison to using a positive charge.

**that's a dot product in the integral. I don't know the LaTeX for a dot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you state it more explicitly?

Basically my question is just the first sentence. When we say difference in potential between 2 points in an electric field, we are assuming by convention that the test charge is positive correct? And using a negative charge would yield the opposite signed potential difference in respect to the case where a positive charge is used.

More explicitly, [tex]V_f - V_i = \frac{W}{q_0} = -\[ \int_i^f E\dot ds\][/tex] is the equation used to calculate the potential difference between points i and f in an E-field. By convention we assume the charge q_0 is positive correct?

Where is [tex]\frac{W}{q_0}[/tex] coming from?
The definition of W is usually work, which is the amount of energy required to move from one position to another, which in this case would be the difference of potential energies of two positions around the charge so: [tex]W=V_f - V_i[/tex] like you had in your first post. This is a definition that is applied in many other areas besides just electromagnetism, so there is no charge involved here. What charge will do is change which is larger the final potential or the initial potential.

The potential energy [itex]U[/itex], is defined by [tex]W_{elect}^{i\rightarrow f}=U_i-U_f[/tex]

The potential [itex]V[/itex] and the difference, are defined by

[tex]V_A=\frac{U_A}{q}\Rightarrow V_i-V_f=\frac{W_{elect}^{i\rightarrow f}}{q}[/tex]

no matter the sign of the charge.

I'm asking about when we are talking about potential differences.

For example when we say that the potential difference between point f and point i is 50 V, then 50 V with respect to a positive charge moving from point f to point i. The potential difference would be -50 V if it were a negative charge moving from f to i. I'm asking if it's standard to assume a positive charge when we talk about potentials differences.

Also, rainbow child, I believe in your last formula you are missing a negative sign in front of the fraction.

breez said:
**that's a dot product in the integral. I don't know the LaTeX for a dot.
\cdot (center dot) ([itex]\cdot[/itex]). Use \cdots to get multiple dots, ellipsis-style; also \ldots (lower dots) ([itex]\ldots[/itex]). The command you issued, \dot, acts as an accent; it places a dot over the next symbol, as you have observed.

The potential does not depend from the charge that moves in the electrical field. The work done on the charge depends from the charge.
Thus if the potential difference from point A to point B is [tex]V_{AB}=50V[/tex] then the work on a charge q=+1 Cb is W=50 J, and on a charge q=-1 Cb is W=-50 J.

Related to Potential Difference: Comparing Positive & Negative Charges

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the force that causes charges to flow in an electrical circuit.

2. How is potential difference related to positive and negative charges?

Potential difference is created by the separation of positive and negative charges. In an electric circuit, positive charges move towards areas of lower potential energy and negative charges move towards areas of higher potential energy. This difference in potential energy creates a potential difference, which causes charges to flow.

3. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit. It measures the difference in electric potential energy between two points in the circuit and displays the result in volts.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges have a deficiency of electrons, while negative charges have an excess of electrons. Positive charges are attracted to negative charges and vice versa. In an electric circuit, positive charges flow from areas of higher potential energy to lower potential energy, while negative charges flow in the opposite direction.

5. How does potential difference affect the flow of charges in an electric circuit?

Potential difference is what causes charges to flow in an electric circuit. The greater the potential difference, the greater the force on the charges and the more current (flow of charges) there will be in the circuit. Similarly, a lower potential difference will result in less current in the circuit.