Potential difference between two points for a circuit with two batteries

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the potential difference between two points in a circuit with two batteries. The first battery has a voltage of 9V and a current of 3.0A, while the second battery has a voltage of 12.0V and a current of 2.0A. The currents combine at a junction, where I1+I2=I3. The conversation explores different calculations and equations, such as Kirchhoff's rules, to determine the potential difference between the two points. It is concluded that the potential difference is 9V, as it is the sum of the potential drops between the two points
medguy1234

Homework Statement

The problems tells me to determine the potential difference between between two points. I alrady know that the potential of one point is zero. The problem I am having is that the cirucit has two batteries. I do not have a question so i will describe it, it hsould be easy to visulaize. The first battery is 9V and current I1=3.0A and moves across a resistor R1=2.0 ohms. The second battery is 12.0V and current I2=2.0A and moves across a resitor R2=1.5 ohms. The current then combines at a junction where I1+I2=I3. My question is how to I find the at the junction. I3 flows out of the junction and is5.0A.

Homework Equations

V=IR
series and parallel resistor equations
Kirchoff's rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I caluclated the voltage drop at R1 to be 6.0V, therefore there is 3.0V heading to the junction from I1. I calcualted the voltage drop at R2 to be 3.0V, therefore there is 9.0V heading into the junction from I2. Are the voltages additive? I am not sure bc it would make sense?
are the voltages additive at the point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi medguy1234! :smile:
medguy1234 said:
The problems tells me to determine the potential difference between between two points. I alrady know that the potential of one point is zero. The problem I am having is that the cirucit has two batteries. I do not have a question so i will describe it, it hsould be easy to visulaize. The first battery is 9V and current I1=3.0A and moves across a resistor R1=2.0 ohms. The second battery is 12.0V and current I2=2.0A and moves across a resitor R2=1.5 ohms. The current then combines at a junction where I1+I2=I3. My question is how to I find the at the junction. I3 flows out of the junction and is5.0A.

I caluclated the voltage drop at R1 to be 6.0V, therefore there is 3.0V heading to the junction from I1. I calcualted the voltage drop at R2 to be 3.0V, therefore there is 9.0V heading into the junction from I2. Are the voltages additive? I am not sure bc it would make sense?
are the voltages additive at the point.

Nicely described! :smile:

mmm … I always got very confused by electric circuits. :confused:

Common-sense seems to say that the potential (that is, the battery voltage minus the potential drop) should be the same from both paths.

Your voltage drop calculations look right. That gives you 9 - 6 = 3 for one path, and 12 - 3 = 9 for the other path.

Are you sure you have the batteries the right way round? :smile:

here is a picture, this should help hopefully

im tryin to find v at A by v at b

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    59 KB · Views: 660

Thanks for the PM.
medguy1234 said:
here is a picture, this should help hopefully

im tryin to find v at A by v at b

ah … that picture is not what I was expecting.

You didn't say how you got your currents … I think they must be wrong …

When you apply Kirchhoff's rules to the left and right circuits, what two equations do you get? :smile:

When i applied kirchnoffs rules for the diagram i get,

Loop 1 being- the left side
loop 2 being- being the whole thing
loop 3 being the the rights side

loop 1= E1-I1R1-I3R3=0
I solved this one for I1 and got I1=(E1-I3R3)/R1 and got I1=3.0A

for loop 3 i got E2-I2R2-I3R3-I2R4=0
i solved this one for I3 and got I3=(E2-I2R2-I2R4)/R3 and got I3=5.0A

thats how i got them

loop 2 is E1-I1R1 +I2R2-E2 +I2R4=0, but i ddin't use it

medguy1234 said:
loop 1= E1-I1R1-I3R3=0
I solved this one for I1 and got I1=(E1-I3R3)/R1 and got I1=3.0A

for loop 3 i got E2-I2R2-I3R3-I2R4=0
i solved this one for I3 and got I3=(E2-I2R2-I2R4)/R3 and got I3=5.0A

thats how i got them

ok … that looks right! :smile:

The question only asks you now for the potential difference between points A and B …

and they're both on the right-hand circuit …

and you know all the currents …

so just use Kirchhoff again! :smile:

wait, how would i do that, would i just make a half of a loop then or what, the best i could think of is dividing the loop in two part and solving for1 part,

i said that E2-R2I2=I3R3 + I2R4

Solving for either side gives 9 V, is that the correct answer, but most importantly the correct reasoning behind it

medguy1234 said:
wait, how would i do that, would i just make a half of a loop then or what, the best i could think of is dividing the loop in two part and solving for1 part,

i said that E2-R2I2=I3R3 + I2R4

Solving for either side gives 9 V, is that the correct answer, but most importantly the correct reasoning behind it

ah … I think I see what's worrying you …

you're thinking that you can't apply Kirchhoff to half a loop!

Think of it as applying Kirchhoff to both halves in the same direction

one half adds to 9, and the other to minus 9 … total zero … you will always get total zero for a loop, no matter where you split it in two.

The correct reasoning is simply to say "potential difference = sum of potential drops." :smile:

ok the potential difference between the two points a and b, is the sum of the potential drops between them, therefore, there is a 3 volt drop and a 6 volt drop, which adds to 9, therefore the ptential difference is 9 V

is that correct?

Yes! :smile:

tim i love u, ur great, a genius i should say, i appreciate the help

Related to Potential difference between two points for a circuit with two batteries

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the measure of the difference in electric potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the energy transferred by the charge that is transferred. In a circuit with two batteries, the potential difference between two points is the sum of the voltages of the two batteries.

3. What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is volts (V). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as joules per coulomb (J/C) or electron volts (eV).

4. How does potential difference affect the flow of electric current?

Potential difference is what causes electric current to flow in a circuit. It is the driving force that pushes the electrons from the negative terminal of the battery to the positive terminal.

5. Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This means that the energy is being transferred in the opposite direction, from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. In a circuit with two batteries, the potential difference can be negative if the direction of the batteries is opposite to each other.