Potential Difference across a resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equivalent resistance of a circuit with resistors in parallel and series. The experts guide the person through finding the individual resistances and the potential difference across a specific resistor using Ohm's Law and Kirchoff's laws. They also suggest using the concept of closed loops to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the person continuing to work on finding the individual voltages and currents in the circuit.
Differentiate1

Homework Statement

a) Find Req of the circuit
b) Find the potential difference across resistance R3[/B]
Y0k08ep.png

Homework Equations

Resistors in parallel = (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...)^-1
Resistors in series = R1 + R2 + R3 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
R3 and R4 are in parallel --> [ (1/40Ω) + (1/50Ω) ]^-1 = 200/9 Ω
R2 and R_34 are then in series --> 50Ω + (200/9)Ω = 650/9 Ω
R1 and R_234 are then in parallel --> [ (1/40) + (650/9) ]^-1 = 25.7Ω

b)
This is the part I need help with as I'm clueless on even how to start. Any guide is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the potential split between two resistances in series?

Orodruin said:
How is the potential split between two resistances in series?

In series, the potential is equal to the sum of the individual voltages I recall. So Vtot = V1 + V2 + ...

Yes, and how would you find the individual voltages?

Orodruin said:
Yes, and how would you find the individual voltages?

Using Ohm's Law, V = IR --> I would say find the current first. So I = V/R.
Vtotal = 10 V here --> I = 10V/Rtotal = 10/26
V1 = I(R1)
V2 = I(R2)
V4 = I(R4)
Then, V3 = I(R3) = 15.38 V

The answer however is 5.5 V.

The current you have computed is the total current through the equivalent circuit, not the current through R3.

Orodruin said:
The current you have computed is the total current through the equivalent circuit, not the current through R3.

I am unsure of how to find the current through R3, the individual resistor.

Last edited:
You do not need to. There are several ways of approaching this and the one I had in mind does not rely upon it. Let us try another one: Can you find a relation between the potential across R2 and that across R3?

Orodruin said:
You do not need to. There are several ways of approaching this and the one I had in mind does not rely upon it. Let us try another one: Can you find a relation between the potential across R2 and that across R3?

Well since R2 and R3 are in series, V23 = V2 + V3

And what does it have to equal to?

Orodruin said:
And what does it have to equal to?

Since this is a closed loop, V23 would have to equal 0.

You can use Kirchoff's laws for sure. However, you are not closing a loop by going across R2 and R3. In order to close it, what other component do you need to cross? (There are two choices, one is simpler than the other...)

Orodruin said:
You can use Kirchoff's laws for sure. However, you are not closing a loop by going across R2 and R3. In order to close it, what other component do you need to cross? (There are two choices, one is simpler than the other...)

Would need to cross R1 to close it?

Yes, or ... (You picked the slightly more complicated choice)

Alternatively, what is the potential difference across R1?

Orodruin said:
Yes, or ... (You picked the slightly more complicated choice)

Alternatively, what is the potential difference across R1?
I = 10/26
So V1 = (10/26)(40) = 15.38 V

No. All the current does not go through R1 either. You do not need to know the current to know the voltage across R1, it is enough to use Kirchoff's voltage law.

So would I set V1 + V2 + V3 - 10 = 0 ?

No, you are now confusing two of the loops for KVL. Just use one loop at a time.

Orodruin said:
No, you are now confusing two of the loops for KVL. Just use one loop at a time.
For R1: V1 would have to be 10V. Need to clarify that before moving on.

Correct. So what does this tell you about V2 and V3?

V2 + V3 would have to equal 0?

No. What loop are you getting this from?

Just redid it.
V1 - I2(R2) - I3(R3) = 0
--> I2(R2) - I3(R3) = 10 V
This next step correct?

You have made a mistake in solving for V2 + V3. I also strongly suggest you work with the voltages instead of the currents, since you are looking for a voltage.

Once you have solved it correctly, ask yourself what the current through R2 is and how you can use this to find V2 and thus V3.

I am now going to bed so this is my last post for today, it is 4 am here.

Orodruin said:
You have made a mistake in solving for V2 + V3. I also strongly suggest you work with the voltages instead of the currents, since you are looking for a voltage.

Once you have solved it correctly, ask yourself what the current through R2 is and how you can use this to find V2 and thus V3.

I am now going to bed so this is my last post for today, it is 4 am here.
Alright thanks again. I'll see what I can work with.

Related to Potential Difference across a resistance

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit.

What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how easily an electric current can flow through a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol R.

How is potential difference across a resistance calculated?

Potential difference across a resistance is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the potential difference (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation V=IR.

What factors affect potential difference across a resistance?

The potential difference across a resistance is affected by the amount of current flowing through it, the resistance value, and the material the resistance is made of. Temperature can also affect resistance and therefore, potential difference.

Why is potential difference across a resistance important?

Potential difference across a resistance is important because it determines the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is also a key factor in calculating power and energy in an electrical system.