Potential between concentric spheres

In summary, the problem involves a particle with charge q and mass m moving in a circle of radius r between two concentric spheres with a distance d between them. The potential V between the spheres is needed to be found. The suggested approach is to treat the spheres as parallel plates and use the equation E=V/d for electric field, and then equate it to centripetal force F=qE. There is a question about the behavior of a sphere inside a spherical shell in this scenario.
Kara386

Homework Statement

A particle charge q and mass m moves in a circle radius r between two concentric spheres which are a distance d apart, where d<<r. There's a potential V between spheres. Find an expression for this potential.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I assume that these are like parallel plates so that ##E = \frac{V}{d}##? The ##F = qE## and I can equate that to centripetal force. I'm just not sure if I can say that a sphere inside a spherical shell, which I assume is what the question means, would behave like that because of the curvature.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kara386 said:
Can I assume that these are like parallel plates so that E=VdE=VdE = \frac{V}{d}? The F=qEF=qEF = qE and I can equate that to centripetal force.

That's what I would do.

Related to Potential between concentric spheres

1. What is the formula for calculating the potential between concentric spheres?

The formula for calculating the potential between concentric spheres is V = k(Q1-Q2)/r, where V is the potential difference, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the inner and outer spheres, and r is the distance between the two spheres.

2. How does the potential between concentric spheres change as the distance between the spheres increases?

The potential between concentric spheres decreases as the distance between the two spheres increases. This is because the potential is inversely proportional to the distance between the charges.

3. Can the potential between concentric spheres be negative?

Yes, the potential between concentric spheres can be negative. This occurs when the charges on the spheres are of opposite signs, resulting in a negative potential difference.

4. How does the charge distribution affect the potential between concentric spheres?

The charge distribution on the spheres does not affect the potential between them, as long as the total charge on each sphere remains the same. This is because the potential is determined by the total charge, not the distribution of the charge.

5. Is the potential between concentric spheres affected by the material of the spheres?

No, the potential between concentric spheres is not affected by the material of the spheres. This is because the potential is determined by the charges on the spheres and the distance between them, not the material they are made of.