Potential around charged infinite cylinder in E field

In summary, the electric field around a metal cylinder with charge uniformly distributed on its surface is -Ex=-Ercosφ. The potential is of the form V(r,φ)=A0+A0'ln(r)+∑(n=1 to ∞)((Ancos(nφ)+Bnsin(nφ))rn+(An'cos(nφ)+Bn'sin(nφ))r-n) where A0=-E-B1tanφ, A1=-E-B1tanφ, and A1'=-E-B1tanφ. The solution for the electric field and
eckerm

Homework Statement

The cylinder has a radius a and is perpendicular to the electric field, E(r)=E(x_hat). It also carries charge Q. The potential is of the form V(r,φ)=A0+A0'ln(r)+∑(n=1 to ∞)((Ancos(nφ)+Bnsin(nφ))rn+(An'cos(nφ)+Bn'sin(nφ))r-n)

Homework Equations

V=-∫E⋅dl

The Attempt at a Solution

The above equation yields V=-Ex=-Ercosφ

The two boundary conditions are V(r,φ)=-Ercosφ above the surface of the cylinder and V=0 at r=a. Since -Ercosφ=-ErP1(cosφ), the n on the left side of the equation have to be equal to 1.

Starting with the first boundary condition, as r→∞ the r-1 term will be negligible, the A0 will be negligible, and ln(r) term will grow slower than the r term so it will be negligible. Thus, (A1cosφ+B1sinφ)r=-Ercosφ. Solving for A1 gives A1=-E-B1tanφ.

The other boundary condition gives A0+A0'ln(a)+(A1cosφ+B1sinφ)a+(A1'cosφ+B1'sinφ)a-1=0.

Here I'm stuck. The plan was to solve for B1 then have two equations and two unknowns, but I don't know what to do about the prime letters.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to know what the type of material is. Is it a dielectric with a dielectric constant ## \epsilon ## ? Also, how is the (free) electric charge distributed on the cylinder? The statement of the problem appears to be rather incomplete.

Charles Link said:
It would help to know what the type of material is. Is it a dielectric with a dielectric constant ## \epsilon ## ? Also, how is the (free) electric charge distributed on the cylinder? The statement of the problem appears to be rather incomplete.
I assume it's a conducting metal and the charge is evenly dispersed on the surface.

Suggestion then is to do a couple of things: Solve it as if it were a dielectric cylinder in a uniform field without any additional free electric charge and then take the limit as the dielectric constant goes to infinity. In addition add the charge Q=it should be a charge per unit length, but in any case, let the charge be uniformly distributed on the surface and superimpose this solution with the previous one. ## \\ ## The Legendre method in a uniform field for a cylinder is somewhat lengthy, but there is a shortcut that should give the same answer which I will show you here: Given an applied electric field ## E_o ## perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder. There will be some uniform polarization ## P_i ## that occurs for this geometry, with ## E_p=-(1/2)P_i/\epsilon_o ##. (The (1/2) factor is a result of the geometry=it comes out of the detailed Legendre analysis=I'm simply giving a result that I have seen previously stated. The ## E_p ## is the electric field that occurs from the surface charge density ## \sigma_p ## that results in the case of uniform polarization ## P_i ##. The Legendre solution will show that this is in fact the case). Meanwhile ## E_i=E_o+E_p ## and ## P_i=\epsilon_o \chi E_i ## where ## \chi ## is the dielectric susceptibility. Then the dielectric constant ## \epsilon=\epsilon_o(1+\chi) ##. A little algebra gives (assuming my algebra is correct) ## E_i=\frac{E_o}{1+(1/2)(\frac{\epsilon}{\epsilon_o}-1)} ##. This just gives the electric field inside the cylinder, and the surface polarization charge density is ## \sigma_p=P \cdot \hat{n} =P cos(\phi) ## where ## P=P_i=(\epsilon-\epsilon_o) E_i ##. You should be able to compare this result to the Legendre result and they should agree. For the limit as ## \epsilon ## gets large (a conductor), I get ## P=2 \epsilon_o E_o ## , and also that ## E_i=0 ##. ## \\ ## Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing your complete Legendre solution, but I recommend first doing it without any free charge on the cylinder, and just superimposing that part afterwards. ## \\ ## One additional input is I believe the free charge per unit length is going to give you a ## A_o' ln(r) ## term which will be absent until you include the free (surface) charge . ## \\ ## And an additional input: I believe you need a potential term of the form ## -E_o cos(\phi) r ## as ## r ## gets large. To satisfy the boundary condition of equal potential everywhere at ## r=a ##, you need an ## A_1'cos(\phi)/r ## term to offset the previous term at ## r=a ##. This means ## A_1'=+E_o a^2 ##. It remains to calculate the electric fields, along with the resulting surface charge to show that this solution for the potential works everywhere. (It appears to me that the ## B ## coefficients might be equal to zero and all you need is ## A_1 ## and ## A_1' ## along with a subsequent ## A_o' ##. This solution for the potential is of course for ## r>a ##. For ## r<a ## the potential is zero everywhere. ## A_o ## can be chosen to make ## V=0 ## for ## r=a ## in the solution for ## r \geq a ##.) Additional comment: This last method is easier than my previous suggestion above to solve it as a dielectric, etc. Using the fact that the potential must be the same everywhere on the surface makes for a simple solution for ## A_1' ##.

Last edited:

Related to Potential around charged infinite cylinder in E field

1. What is the formula for the potential around a charged infinite cylinder in an electric field?

The formula for the potential around a charged infinite cylinder in an electric field is V = -E*r*ln(r), where V is the potential, E is the electric field strength, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

2. How is the potential affected by the charge and electric field strength of the cylinder?

The potential is directly proportional to the charge and electric field strength of the cylinder. This means that as the charge or electric field strength increases, the potential also increases.

3. What is the significance of the logarithmic term in the potential formula?

The logarithmic term in the potential formula takes into account the cylindrical symmetry of the system. This means that the potential at any point around the cylinder is dependent on the distance from the center, rather than the direction from the center.

4. Can the potential around the cylinder ever be zero?

No, the potential around the cylinder can never be zero. This is because the logarithmic term in the potential formula will always be non-zero, regardless of the distance from the center of the cylinder.

5. How does the potential around the cylinder change as the distance from the center increases?

The potential around the cylinder decreases logarithmically as the distance from the center increases. This means that the potential will decrease at a slower rate as the distance increases, eventually approaching zero as the distance approaches infinity.