Potential applied across two points with batteries

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of adding voltages in series and the effect of parallel battery/resistor combinations. The speaker is having trouble understanding why their guess for problem #3 was correct, and the responder explains that the change in potential is not path dependent and can be calculated using different paths.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first two were pretty simple, but I'm having trouble grasping why my guess for #3 was actually correct. Why are we ignoring the parallel battery/resistor combo up top and just adding the voltages of the two batteries in series?

As I understand it, batteries in series do add voltages, so I get that, I just don't understand why that other battery/resistor has no effect.

Attachments

• batteries.png
    batteries.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
the change in potential is not path dependent. So you can calculate the change using the upper path, or as you have done, using the (simpler) lower path.

Edit: you can also calculate the change in potential by using a path that goes through E3 then R1, it will still get you the same answer.

Related to Potential applied across two points with batteries

1. What is potential?

Potential is the measure of the amount of energy that can be transferred per unit charge between two points. It is also known as voltage.

2. How is potential applied across two points with batteries?

In a battery, chemical reactions convert chemical energy into electrical energy, creating a potential difference between the positive and negative terminals. This potential difference is what allows charges to flow from one terminal to the other, creating an electric current.

3. What is the unit of potential?

The unit of potential is the volt (V), named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta.

4. How does the potential difference affect electric circuits?

The potential difference between two points in an electric circuit determines the rate at which electric charges flow. Higher potential differences result in a faster flow of charges, while lower potential differences result in a slower flow of charges.

5. Can potential difference be measured?

Yes, potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a type of electrical measuring instrument. It is connected in parallel to the two points between which the potential difference needs to be measured.