Potential and intensity of magnetic field

In summary: LaTeX can handle this pretty easily.It's a typsetting markup script called LaTeX - and it's pretty much the academic standard ... you can use it for Libre Office too, though, as you've noticed, there is a limited Tex support already built in.Yes, I have noticed that LaTeX has good support for complex mathematics -- and that's why I chose it.
ciso112

Homework Statement

Very thin wire bent into the shape of a quarter-circle with the radius R is uniformly charged with electric charge q.
Calculate the potential and intensity of the electric field at point A, which lies on a line perpendicular to the plane of the semicircle and is passing through the center of its curvature at a distance a from the center. The wire is in the vacuum.

Homework Equations

I am integrating through the length of the conductor, where all the variables seem to be the constants. Is it correct?
How would it look like if I took into account the changing of the angle?

The Attempt at a Solution

see the picture

--
this is my first post, greetings to all of you and thanks for the help
Lukas

Attachments

• IMG_20160518_183559.jpg
    IMG_20160518_183559.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
I am integrating through the length of the conductor, where all the variables seem to be the constants. Is it correct?
Yes.
How would it look like if I took into account the changing of the angle?
You mean if you take θ anticlockwise about the axis, from one end of the wire?
Try it and see: dx = R.dθ and the limits of integration are 0 - π/2 ...

Thx a lot for your reply.

Simon Bridge said:
You mean if you take θ anticlockwise about the axis, from one end of the wire?
Try it and see: dx = R.dθ and the limits of integration are 0 - π/2 ...

Yes...mainly "dx = R.dθ" made the trick, thanks again. (the result is the same :) )

Now everything is ready for the second question:
I need to calculate the intensity, I was thinking of using the equation "(vector)E = - grad θ" which gives me the partial derivations by x,y,z.
But θ doesn't contain x,y or z, so I would stay only with constants and therefore 0...what am I missing?

Last edited:
##\vec E = -\nabla \phi## ... ;) where ##\phi## is the electric potential. I used ##\theta## for the angle.
How to write equations: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

You have only worked out the electric potential at a specific point.
##\phi## is not the same everywhere... therefore it has a gradient someplace.
But it may be easier to do the vector calculus for the electric field directly: exploit the symmetry.

Simon Bridge said:
##\vec E = -\nabla \phi## ... ;) where ##\phi## is the electric potential. I used ##\theta## for the angle.
How to write equations: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

I really like the logic behind, it recommends me LibreOffice and its writing of the equations.

Simon Bridge said:
You have only worked out the electric potential at a specific point.
##\phi## is not the same everywhere... therefore it has a gradient someplace.
But it may be easier to do the vector calculus for the electric field directly: exploit the symmetry.

Thx for the guidance, it is clearer now, hope I will do the calculations correctly.

ciso112 said:
I really like the logic behind, it recommends me LibreOffice and its writing of the equations.
It's a typsetting markup script called LaTeX - and it's pretty much the academic standard ... you can use it for Libre Office too, though, as you've noticed, there is a limited Tex support already built in.
http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/texmaths-1

Thx for the guidance, it is clearer now, hope I will do the calculations correctly.
No worries - it can help to explicitly lay out the axes ... I used cartesian with the charges in the positive quadrant of the x-y plane and A on the z axis.

Likes ciso112

Related to Potential and intensity of magnetic field

1. What is the difference between potential and intensity of magnetic field?

Potential refers to the amount of energy a magnetic field contains at a specific point, while intensity refers to the strength of the magnetic field at that point.

2. How are potential and intensity of magnetic field related?

The potential and intensity of a magnetic field are directly proportional. This means that as the potential of a magnetic field increases, so does its intensity.

3. Can the potential and intensity of a magnetic field be negative?

Yes, the potential and intensity of a magnetic field can be negative. This indicates the direction of the magnetic field, with negative values representing a field pointing in the opposite direction.

4. What unit is used to measure potential and intensity of magnetic field?

The unit used to measure potential and intensity of magnetic field is the tesla (T), which is equivalent to 1 newton per ampere-meter (N/A*m) in SI units.

5. How do changes in distance affect the potential and intensity of a magnetic field?

As the distance from a magnetic field increases, both the potential and intensity of the field decrease. This is described by the inverse square law, which states that the strength of a magnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.