Potassium Permanganate Reduction in Aqueous Buffer

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of potassium permanganate and sodium hypochlorite in an aqueous buffer solution. The solution results in the reduction of permanganate ion and oxidation of hypochlorite ion. The speaker also questions the solution's acidity, as the buffer should not affect the pH and the hypochlorite ion is a weak base. However, they are unsure if there is an error in the notes.
Kruz87
Hello everybody,
I'm told that potassium permanganate is dissolved in an aqueous buffer of ammonia and ammonium at equal concentrations (1M), and treated with 1M sodium hypochlorite, the permanganate ion is reduced to insoluble manganese dioxide as the hypochlorite ion is oxiddized to perchlorate ion.

I have the notes to the solution of the problem, but I noticed that he considered the solution to be acidic?

Why?
The buffer should have no affect on pH and OCl^- is a weak bronstend lowry base. So why wouldn't the solution be basic?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why. Could it be there's a mistake in the notes?

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic. I can provide some insights on the use of potassium permanganate in aqueous buffer solutions. First, it is important to note that potassium permanganate is a strong oxidizing agent and can undergo reduction reactions in the presence of certain compounds, such as sodium hypochlorite. In this case, the reduction of potassium permanganate to insoluble manganese dioxide is accompanied by the oxidation of hypochlorite to perchlorate ion.

Now, to address your question about the solution being considered acidic, it is likely because the presence of ammonia and ammonium in equal concentrations acts as a buffer and maintains the pH of the solution. Ammonia is a weak base and ammonium is its conjugate acid, so they can balance out any excess protons present from the oxidation of hypochlorite. This allows for the reduction reaction to occur more efficiently and avoids any drastic changes in pH that could interfere with the reaction.

In summary, the use of an aqueous buffer solution with equal concentrations of ammonia and ammonium helps to maintain a stable pH and facilitate the reduction of potassium permanganate in the presence of sodium hypochlorite. I hope this helps clarify the role of the buffer in this reaction. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the curious mindset!

Related to Potassium Permanganate Reduction in Aqueous Buffer

1. What is potassium permanganate reduction in aqueous buffer?

Potassium permanganate reduction in aqueous buffer is a chemical reaction in which potassium permanganate (KMnO4) is used to oxidize a substance in the presence of water. This reaction is commonly used in various scientific experiments and industrial processes.

2. How does potassium permanganate reduction in aqueous buffer work?

In this reaction, potassium permanganate acts as an oxidizing agent, meaning it gains electrons from the substance being reduced. The reduction takes place in an aqueous (water-based) buffer solution, which helps to maintain a stable pH and prevent unwanted side reactions.

3. What are the applications of potassium permanganate reduction in aqueous buffer?

This reaction has many applications in scientific research and industrial processes. It is commonly used to measure the concentration of various substances, such as organic compounds and dissolved oxygen, in a solution. It is also used in wastewater treatment and as a disinfectant.

4. What are the potential hazards of using potassium permanganate in aqueous buffer?

Potassium permanganate is a strong oxidizing agent and can be corrosive if it comes into contact with skin or eyes. It can also react violently with other substances, such as organic compounds, and may release toxic fumes. Therefore, proper safety precautions should be taken when handling this chemical.

5. How can the success of a potassium permanganate reduction in aqueous buffer reaction be measured?

The success of this reaction can be measured by monitoring the color change of the solution. Potassium permanganate is a deep purple color, and as it is reduced, the solution will turn from purple to colorless. The rate of color change can also be measured using a spectrophotometer to determine the concentration of the substance being reduced.