Postponing starting my Master's degree (Germany)

In summary, the person was accepted to a top university in Germany, but does not have enough money to support themselves. They plan on rejecting the current offer and reapplying for the next semester. They are unsure as to whether or not they will be accepted after the first semester.
Phylosopher
Hi,I have been accepted in one of the top universities in Germany. The program starts not very far from today (Summer 2020). Problem is that I have just established myself in my career as a teacher and I do not have a lot of money to support myself abroad. (just started two months from now)

My plan was to finish my contract in the school this year, then go into university at the start of the next academic year to complete my higher degrees. (I applied for the master's degree in summer 2020 as an alternative plan).

Now that I have the acceptance letter, is it usually possible to postpone the enrollment to the next semester? Because, I do not think it is very wise to rush things up while I don't have the financial support.

Physics news on Phys.org
It wouldn't hurt to write the University and ASK!

Likes Phylosopher
HallsofIvy said:

I wrote, still waiting for a response. But I wanted to know if this is a common thing or not. Also, whether such cases are usually accepted from universities.

HallsofIvy said:

Update

The university advised me to basically apply again for the Winter semester. As I understand, this means that I will have to reject the current offer and reapply. The outcome of the Winter semester screening may be positive or negative, and it is not necessarily tied to this year decision.

The person I emailed sounded positive that since I have been accepted this year, I will probably be accepted next year as well. But there are no inssurance what so ever!

Does anyone have any advise for me?

Phylosopher said:
Does anyone have any advise for me?
Phylosopher said:
I do not have a lot of money to support myself abroad.
Do not be in a situation where you have no financial support.
I would guess that you have already tried looking for a scholarship from this same university, but what about external ones?

Likes Phylosopher
archaic said:
Do not be in a situation where you have no financial support.
I would guess that you have already tried looking for a scholarship from this same university, but what about external ones?

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have looked for scholarships.
The university does not offer any, and the deadline for all the external scholarships that I know of has passed.

Even if there is one, it will take around a month or two for a decision, and I only have around 10 days to decide whether I should accept or reject the university offer. I guess German universities are really fast pace ^^".

With my current financial situation, I can support myself for about two semesters, after that, I would be a beggar.

Phylosopher said:
With my current financial situation, I can support myself for about two semesters, after that, I would be a beggar.
And I do not think that you would be so sure as to obtaining a scholarship after those two semesters, or even after the first. I think that the more responsible choice is to take the work for now and keep an eye for potential financial aid opportunities.

Likes Phylosopher

What is the process for postponing starting my Master's degree in Germany?

The process for postponing starting your Master's degree in Germany may vary depending on the university and program you are enrolled in. Generally, you will need to contact your university's admissions office and inform them of your decision to postpone. You may also need to provide a valid reason for postponing and submit any necessary documentation. It is important to communicate with your university as soon as possible to ensure a smooth process.

What are some common reasons for postponing starting a Master's degree in Germany?

Some common reasons for postponing starting a Master's degree in Germany include personal or family circumstances, health issues, financial constraints, or unexpected job opportunities. It is important to carefully consider your reasons for postponing and communicate them clearly with your university.

Will I lose my admission or scholarship if I postpone starting my Master's degree in Germany?

This will depend on the specific policies of your university and program. In some cases, your admission and scholarship may be deferred to the following semester or year. However, it is important to check with your university to confirm their policies and any deadlines for postponing your studies.

Can I change my mind and start my Master's degree earlier than the postponed date?

In most cases, it is possible to change your mind and start your Master's degree earlier than the postponed date. However, this will also depend on the policies of your university and program. It is important to communicate any changes in your plans with your university as soon as possible.

How will postponing my Master's degree affect my visa status in Germany?

If you are an international student, postponing your Master's degree may affect your visa status in Germany. It is important to check with your university and the German embassy or consulate in your home country for specific guidelines and requirements. You may need to provide updated documentation or apply for a new visa for the postponed start date of your studies.