Postgrad in USA: Masters, Finances & Maths

• Thread starter Focus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usa
In summary: The other thing to consider is that the US grading system is a lot harsher than the UK one, so your grades will likely be a lot higher. Hence, it might be a good idea to aim to get a first or second class honours degree in the UK, in order to minimise the impact of grades on your chances of getting a good postgraduate position.I hope this was of some use to you. Thanks for asking!
Focus
Hey,

I was wondering about postgrad in the USA. I'm an undergrad in UK but I will finish with a masters and I heard that the US postgrad programmes make you do a masters as well. Is there anyway to avoid this? Also is there any financial support for doing post grads there? I should end up graduating with a first so grades won't be so much of a problems hopefully.

Thanks in advance.

PS. My field is maths.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know abut the financial support, but you'll almost definitely need to take GRE's (Graduate Record Examinations).
There's a general paper comprised of two essay writing questions, a verbal comprehension section and a numerical section. There is generally also a subject paper, however I'm not sure if there's one for maths, or if it has it's own test.

I hope you find this information useful.

Dave

I was wondering about postgrad in the USA. I'm an undergrad in UK but I will finish with a masters and I heard that the US postgrad programmes make you do a masters as well. Is there anyway to avoid this? Also is there any financial support for doing post grads there? I should end up graduating with a first so grades won't be so much of a problems hopefully.

It's not that they make you do a 'Masters' as such, it's just that a PhD over there is typically 5-6 years long, as oppose to the UK 3-4 years. The first two years of a US PhD are largely taught, in contrast to the UK where you would just dive straight into research as soon as you start, and just have a few grad courses taught on the side.

I'm not sure if there would be any way to skip the first year or two, if you already had a UK MSc. I can't see why it wouldn't be possible if you could provide evidence that you enough credits and had taken the graduate taught courses already in the UK. I think your best bet would be to prospectivley email some departments over there, to get a definitive answer on that one.

As for funding, in the first year or two I think US postgrads are largely supported by teaching assistantships (TAs), which typically involve around 20hrs a week teaching undergrads, labs etc (quite a contrast to the UK, where teaching is just a voluntary thing to get some extra money in, and adequate funding can be attained without any teachin whatsoever). The latter years of the PhD, most students are supported by research assistantships (RAs).

From what I've read, it seems that funding is just as readily available for international students as it is for domestic grad students. I've not heard anyone say that they believe it to be more competitive for internationals, I hope not anyway. (well I heard it was tricky to get into some of the UC's as an international student, but I don't know if this is true or not).

Like ScotchDave said, you will need to take the General GRE as well as the Subject GRE. My advice to you would be to take the Subject GRE after your second undergrad year, assuming the maths subject test is similar to the physics GRE, you will have covered all the content by this time, and it will be very fresh in your mind. Saves a lot of hassle going back to try and revise later on (even if the content is basic, it's just a pain).

Related to Postgrad in USA: Masters, Finances & Maths

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a postgraduate degree in the USA?

There are several benefits to pursuing a postgraduate degree in the USA, including access to top universities with renowned academic programs, exposure to a diverse and global student community, and opportunities for research and networking with industry professionals.

2. How much does a postgraduate degree in the USA typically cost?

The cost of a postgraduate degree in the USA can vary greatly depending on the university, program, and location. On average, international students can expect to pay between $20,000 to $40,000 per year for tuition, in addition to living expenses and other fees.

3. Are there scholarships or financial aid options available for postgraduate students in the USA?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for postgraduate students in the USA. Some universities offer merit-based scholarships, while others may have need-based financial aid programs. It's important to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process.

4. How does the postgraduate application process in the USA differ from other countries?

The postgraduate application process in the USA typically involves submitting standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT), academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a resume and/or an interview as part of the application. It's important to research the specific requirements for each university and program.

5. Is a strong background in mathematics necessary for postgraduate studies in the USA?

It depends on the specific program you are applying to. While some postgraduate programs may require a strong background in mathematics, others may not. It's important to carefully review the curriculum and prerequisites for the program you are interested in to determine if your mathematics background is sufficient.