Post too wide to fit on screen

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests that large attachments and images can make threads messy and difficult to navigate. The speaker suggests that the administration should consider restricting attachment sizes or allowing exceptions for specific threads. They also recommend keeping images within 640 pixels wide to avoid stretching the screen.
jackmell
Hi. Sometimes I run into threads with attachments that don't fit on the computer screen and so have to be scrolled. This in my opinion ruins the whole thread since all the post now are "extended" by this one post and you have to fumble with the scroll keys to see all the other post and not just that one big one. It just contributes to a messy-looking presentation in my view.

May I suggest the administration consider restricting attachment sizes that fit on the screen. If it's large, then reduce it down to a convenient-fitting size, or if the thread is specifically created for pictures, then allow an exception I guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are referring to in-post images (displayed via img tags) rather than attachments - there are limitations on the sizes of attachments. I don't know if there is any way to restrict the size of an image file that is hosted externally? It is generally good practice to keep images to within about 640 pixels wide.

If there's an image that stretches the screen making things messy, you could post a response asking the person who made the image post to resize the image.

Related to Post too wide to fit on screen

1. What does "Post too wide to fit on screen" mean?

This phrase typically refers to a post or message that is too long or too wide to be displayed properly on a computer or phone screen. This can happen when a post contains a large amount of text, images, or other content that extends beyond the width of the screen.

2. Why does a post become too wide to fit on screen?

There are several reasons why a post may become too wide to fit on screen. It could be due to the use of large images or videos, excessive use of formatting or spacing, or simply because the content is too long. Additionally, different devices and screen sizes may also affect how a post is displayed.

3. How can I fix a post that is too wide to fit on screen?

One solution is to edit the post and remove any unnecessary content, such as extra images or formatting. Another option is to adjust the screen size or zoom level on your device to better fit the post. Some platforms also have the option to resize or wrap text within a post.

4. Can a post being too wide to fit on screen affect its readability?

Yes, a post that is too wide to fit on screen can make it difficult to read and understand the content. This is especially true for mobile users who may have to constantly scroll back and forth to read the entire post. It's important to keep in mind the screen size and limitations of different devices when creating posts.

5. Is there a character or word limit for posts to prevent them from becoming too wide?

Some platforms may have character or word limits for posts, but it ultimately depends on the specific platform or website. It's always a good idea to check the guidelines or instructions for posting on a particular platform to avoid encountering the issue of a post being too wide to fit on screen.