Post editor double-pastes LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter PeterDonis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, when quotes are automatically pasted into the post editor, they include both an image or special characters and the LaTeX source from the original post, which can be annoying to delete. This issue can be avoided by marking the text when quoting, rather than using the "reply" or "+Quote" buttons. However, this requires manually selecting and copying the desired parts of the post, which can be a hassle. It would be ideal to have an option to only paste the LaTeX source without the extra characters or images.
This is not a major gripe, but when quotes are automatically pasted into the post editor, anything that was LaTeX in the post being quoted gets pasted twice, once as either an image or roughly equivalent special characters, and once as the LaTeX source from the original post. Is there a way to eliminate the image/special characters and just have the LaTeX source pasted? It's annoying to have to go through and delete the other stuff every time.

Physics news on Phys.org
This just happens if you quote it by marking the text I think. Using "reply" or "+Quote" should not have this issue.
Getting the LaTeX source code with marking the text would be perfect.

Edit: Here are some parts to test:
##a^2+b^2=5##
Regular text again.
[tex]\LaTeX[/tex]
More regular text.

Last edited:
mfb said:
Using "reply" or "+Quote" should not have this issue

It does for me.

I mean those buttons at the lower right side of each post. I just saw the text-mark-things have the same labels but work differently. With them, I get the exact source code of the quoted post (minus quotes in it).
mfb said:
Edit: Here are some parts to test:

##a^2+b^2=5##

[tex]\LaTeX[/tex]

mfb said:
I mean those buttons at the lower right side of each post.

Yes, but then I have to cut and paste the entire post to take out the parts I don't want to quote, and to separate the quotes into multiple blocks if I'm responding to different statements. That's more of a pain than just deleting the extra copy of the LaTeX stuff.

Related to Post editor double-pastes LaTeX

What is LaTeX and why is it used in post editing?

LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used in the scientific community for creating professional-looking documents. It is particularly useful for formatting equations and mathematical expressions, making it an essential tool for researchers and scientists.

Why do I need to double-paste LaTeX in the post editor?

Double-pasting LaTeX is necessary because some post editors do not have built-in support for the language. By pasting the code twice, the first paste will convert the LaTeX into an image, and the second paste will display the actual code for editing purposes.

Can I use LaTeX in all post editors?

No, not all post editors have the capability to support LaTeX. It is important to check the features and capabilities of the post editor before using it for scientific writing or equations.

How do I learn to use LaTeX?

There are many online resources and tutorials available for learning LaTeX. Some popular options include Overleaf, ShareLaTeX, and LaTeX Project websites. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer workshops or courses on using LaTeX for scientific writing.

Are there any alternatives to using LaTeX in post editing?

Yes, there are alternative tools and software available for formatting equations and mathematical expressions, such as MathType, Microsoft Word's Equation Editor, or Google Docs' equation editor. However, LaTeX remains the most popular and widely used option among scientists and researchers.