Possible webpage title: Mars and Earth Warming: Fact or Assumption?

In summary, the author discusses the possible mechanisms by which Earth is warming, and provides references to scientific papers that support this claim. However, the grammar and structure of the text are poor, and the introduction is vague. Overall, this is an incomplete paper that needs more work before it can be submitted.
charmedbeauty
Hi,

Would anyone like to critique my physics paper "The Greenhouse Effect"... it's only in draft stage but would definitely like some feedback positive or negative... not just on the material but on the overall structure as this is the first science paper I have done at university; I don't have a conclusion... do I need one? its not long only about 10 pages of writing and diagrams.

Thanks for the effort if anyone reads it... it is much appreciated.

For some reason I am having trouble uploading but I can send it in a message if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
charmedbeauty, Since you doubt that you need a conclusion I believe you are not yet ready to submit your paper, because you should, in my opinion, have one. May I suggest you do some "homework" on you own? Get copies of papers on "The Greenhouse Effect" from professional journals. Read them carefully, then OUTLINE them. This means you end up with the "ingredients" of a properly written paper; that is, a list of all the sections and what they contain: Abstract, Introduction, Methods, etc. Once you have this list you can use it as a guide for writing your own paper. Once you have a first draft do not rush out and ask for someone's opinion. Wait 24 hours or 48 and then revise it again. Then, your student advisor or other qualified person at your university might review it for you.

Bobbywhy said:
charmedbeauty, Since you doubt that you need a conclusion I believe you are not yet ready to submit your paper, because you should, in my opinion, have one. May I suggest you do some "homework" on you own? Get copies of papers on "The Greenhouse Effect" from professional journals. Read them carefully, then OUTLINE them. This means you end up with the "ingredients" of a properly written paper; that is, a list of all the sections and what they contain: Abstract, Introduction, Methods, etc. Once you have this list you can use it as a guide for writing your own paper. Once you have a first draft do not rush out and ask for someone's opinion. Wait 24 hours or 48 and then revise it again. Then, your student advisor or other qualified person at your university might review it for you.

It looks like he has been doing a fair amount of reading and research:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=608821

@charmedbeauty -- can you maybe upload it to a file sharing website and post a link here?

berkeman said:
It looks like he has been doing a fair amount of reading and research:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=608821

@charmedbeauty -- can you maybe upload it to a file sharing website and post a link here?

Thanks, berkeman, I had no clue what charmed beauty had been up to already here on PF!

Please introduce abbreviations. I can identify GHG as green house gases in the abstract, but it is not a good style to use them like this.

The speculation that Mars has been warming from increased solar irradiance and that Earth is warming under the same mechanisms; the data that suggests this is shown to based on very large assumptions.
The grammatical structure here looks strange to me.

the decrease in solar irradiance over this period
Which period? You did not specify any before.

A greenhouse functions in relatively simple way; letting energy in the form of visible light in whilst the air captures some of the infrared radiation which is emitted from the surface
The air, or the glass?

As it is a draft, I assume that the references will get the usual style later.
Look for a native speaker to check the language.

The introduction contains a lot of blah-blah without being specific.
I did not read the main part - it is not my area of work, and it is a big wall of text.

The paper should have a conclusions-section.

I could not download your paper so am not sure about what aspects you write.

I use these sources for analysis of actual data versus climate models:

http://www.c3headlines.com/bad-predictions-failed.html

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10136&page=15You can find US climate change information at this NASA site:

http://climate.nasa.gov/ If you'd like some interesting report links, send me a private message. I don't want to get in trouble again for discussing climate change issues...for some reason this is a sensitive topic in these forums.

Naty1 said:
...for some reason this is a sensitive topic in these forums.

The Rules link pretty much says it all:

PF Rules said:
*Closed due to the disproportionate time required to moderate this topic.*

Global Warming and or Climate Change

We just don't have the subject expertise at the Mentor level to be able to moderate scientific discussions on climate change. We wish we did, but we don't. We wouldn't be able to have a Nuclear Engineering forum without Astronuc, for example, so this is a similar situation. Hopefully that helps to explain it. :smile:

mfb said:
Please introduce abbreviations. I can identify GHG as green house gases in the abstract, but it is not a good style to use them like this.

Which period? You did not specify any before.

The air, or the glass?

As it is a draft, I assume that the references will get the usual style later.
Look for a native speaker to check the language.

The introduction contains a lot of blah-blah without being specific.
I did not read the main part - it is not my area of work, and it is a big wall of text.

The paper should have a conclusions-section.

Thanks I shall make some necessary changes.

Naty1 said:
I could not download your paper so am not sure about what aspects you write.

I use these sources for analysis of actual data versus climate models:

http://www.c3headlines.com/bad-predictions-failed.html

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10136&page=15

You can find US climate change information at this NASA site:

http://climate.nasa.gov/

If you'd like some interesting report links, send me a private message. I don't want to get in trouble again for discussing climate change issues...for some reason this is a sensitive topic in these forums.

Thanks Naty... do you know if http://www.c3headlines.com/bad-predictions-failed.html is a legitimate site?

mfb said:

What other abbreviations have been used... do I need to define mechanisms?
Could you explain further why the grammatical structure looks strange?

charmedbeauty said:
What other abbreviations have been used
I didn't see any, and wrote the quoted line based on the abstract only.

... do I need to define mechanisms?
If they are really well-known in the field, probably not.
Could you explain further why the grammatical structure looks strange?
Original:
The speculation that Mars has been warming from increased solar irradiance and that Earth is warming under the same mechanisms; the data that suggests this is shown to based on very large assumptions.
Now with some parts simplified:
"The speculation that Mars has been warming and that Earth is warming; the data that suggests this is shown to based on assumptions."
Even more simplified:
"The speculation that Mars has been warming; the data is shown to based on assumptions."
What does the first part tell me? And I would expect a "be" before "based" in the second part.

mfb said:
I didn't see any, and wrote the quoted line based on the abstract only.

If they are really well-known in the field, probably not.

Original:

Now with some parts simplified:
"The speculation that Mars has been warming and that Earth is warming; the data that suggests this is shown to based on assumptions."
Even more simplified:
"The speculation that Mars has been warming; the data is shown to based on assumptions."
What does the first part tell me? And I would expect a "be" before "based" in the second part.

Ok so are you saying I should keep it more simplified??
Thanks.

Related to Possible webpage title: Mars and Earth Warming: Fact or Assumption?

1. What is the purpose of providing feedback on a physics paper?

The purpose of providing feedback on a physics paper is to improve the quality and accuracy of the paper. Feedback can help the author identify any errors or gaps in their research, clarify confusing points, and strengthen their arguments and conclusions.

2. How should I structure my feedback on a physics paper?

When providing feedback on a physics paper, it is helpful to first read the paper thoroughly and take notes on any areas that need improvement. Then, organize your feedback into categories such as grammar and spelling, scientific accuracy, and coherence of ideas. Provide specific examples and suggestions for improvement in each category.

3. Is it important to give both positive and negative feedback?

Yes, it is important to give both positive and negative feedback on a physics paper. Positive feedback can reinforce the author's strong points and provide encouragement, while negative feedback can help the author identify areas for improvement and further development of their ideas.

4. How should I approach giving feedback to a colleague or peer?

When giving feedback to a colleague or peer on a physics paper, it is important to be respectful and constructive. Use a polite and professional tone, and provide specific examples and suggestions for improvement. It may also be helpful to ask for their thoughts and ideas on your feedback and engage in a dialogue to further clarify any points.

5. How can I ensure that my feedback is helpful and effective?

To ensure that your feedback is helpful and effective, it is important to be specific and provide concrete examples. Avoid vague or general statements and instead focus on specific areas or points in the paper. It is also important to be constructive and offer suggestions for improvement rather than simply pointing out mistakes. Lastly, be open to discussing and clarifying your feedback with the author to ensure mutual understanding and improvement.