Possible to make your own magnetic gears?

In summary, It is possible to make a spur gear out of aluminum, but there are several issues that need to be considered, including the gear's susceptibility to oscillation.
Seanshine
Is it possible? Could i cut a round piece of aluminum and stick magnets into it to resemble a spur gear? I am trying to make a 4:1 gear ratio but eliminate friction, i was thinking if i could custom fit magnets in the aluminum wheel (since magnets are not atrracted to aluminum). I would have both the bigger gear and smaller gear with the repel side. I was hoping i could make my own rather then going thru a big name company like magnomatics.

Also would there be problems with the magnets spinning at high rpm? Around 40-50,000, the smaller gear would basically be free spinning so i don't see very much torque being apllied to any of the gears.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seanshine said:
Could i cut a round piece of aluminum and stick magnets into it to resemble a spur gear?
In principle: Yes.
But the gear may easily be brought into oscillation, thereby being brought out of synchronism ( will skip a "tooth" ), because every manget is swinging in a magnetic field.
If the gear is not oscillating, it's because it is dampened by eddy currents in the aluminum, that creates losses. So no friction losses but eddy current losses. The gear will be heated up, when spinning.

The gear works like a synchronous motor, that will also oscillate if it is not carefully controlled.

Anyway I will suggest the magnets to be mounted, so that they will attrack each other in pairs. I think that the amount of eddy currents will be smaller this way.

Thanks for the reply! Did some reasearch on eddy currents and it all seems like jibberish to me. From what i took in is that it happens whenthe magnetic field changes within a non magnet item. I was considering using the repel side since i was told the repel side is much stronger with repel compared to the attract side. Also there would be a slight torque load on the gears. How would this double attration work? Would it be when the 2 teeth attract to each other or when the two gears attract?

Related to Possible to make your own magnetic gears?

1. Can I make my own magnetic gears at home?

Yes, it is possible to make your own magnetic gears at home with the right tools and materials. However, it requires knowledge and experience in magnetism and mechanical engineering principles.

2. What materials do I need to make magnetic gears?

To make magnetic gears, you will need strong neodymium magnets, non-magnetic spacers, a metallic gear, and a shaft. You may also need tools such as a drill, screws, and adhesive.

3. How do magnetic gears work?

Magnetic gears work by utilizing the attractive and repulsive forces between two magnets to transfer torque from one gear to another. The magnets are arranged in a specific configuration to create a magnetic field that can rotate the gears without physical contact.

4. Are magnetic gears better than traditional mechanical gears?

Magnetic gears have several advantages over traditional mechanical gears. They have no physical contact, which reduces wear and tear, noise, and maintenance. They also have higher torque density, meaning they can transmit more torque in a smaller package.

5. What are the potential applications of magnetic gears?

Magnetic gears can be used in various applications, including wind turbines, electric vehicles, and industrial machinery. They are also suitable for environments with high temperatures, vibrations, or corrosive materials, where traditional gears may fail.