Possible to generate Electrostatic energy using battery?

In summary, it is not possible to generate electrostatic energy to your body by touching either sides of a battery. You would need to isolate charges and allow both positive and negative to flow from the battery in order to get charged. Additionally, the resistance of your skin and the ground is too high to have a measurable current from a standard battery.
oem7110
Battery has positive and negative charges, will it be possible to generate electrostatic energy to my body by touching either sides of battery?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe so, you need to isolate charges to do that. Unless you allow both positive and negative to flow from the battery, they won't move. So you won't get charged.

What do you mean by saying "generate electrostatic energy to my body"?

elegysix said:
I don't believe so, you need to isolate charges to do that. Unless you allow both positive and negative to flow from the battery, they won't move. So you won't get charged.

If positive charge of battery touches the ground, and my finger touches the negative charge of battery, does it work to make the charges moving? how do I know and measure it?

Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

oem7110 said:
If positive charge of battery touches the ground, and my finger touches the negative charge of battery, does it work to make the charges moving? how do I know and measure it?

Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

Well, let's say you have a 9-volt batter, one of the rectangular ones with the two terminals on top. If you stick this to your tongue you will feel the current traveling from one terminal to the other through your tongue. Generally your skin and the ground has much too high of a reistance to have any measureable current from a standard battery.

Related to Possible to generate Electrostatic energy using battery?

1. Can a battery be used to generate electrostatic energy?

Yes, it is possible to generate electrostatic energy using a battery. This is because a battery contains chemical energy, and when this energy is converted to electrical energy, it can create a difference in charge between two objects, resulting in electrostatic energy.

2. How does a battery generate electrostatic energy?

A battery generates electrostatic energy through the chemical reactions that take place within it. The chemical energy stored in the battery's electrodes is converted into electrical energy, creating a potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of the battery. This potential difference can then be used to generate electrostatic energy.

3. Is electrostatic energy generated by a battery dangerous?

Electrostatic energy generated by a battery is usually not dangerous, as the amount of energy produced is relatively low. However, if a large number of batteries are connected together, the accumulated electrostatic energy can cause a static shock or potentially damage electronic devices.

4. Can electrostatic energy generated by a battery be stored?

Yes, electrostatic energy generated by a battery can be stored. This can be done by using a capacitor, which is an electrical component that can store and release energy. The capacitor can store the electrostatic energy generated by the battery and release it when needed.

5. What are the practical applications of generating electrostatic energy using a battery?

Generating electrostatic energy using a battery has various practical applications. It can be used in electrostatic air cleaners, which use the electrostatic energy to remove particles from the air. It can also be used in electrostatic spray painting, where the electrostatic energy helps to evenly coat objects with paint. Additionally, electrostatic energy can be used in photocopiers and printers to transfer toner to paper.