Possible Outcomes for Cis-Trans Isomers

• Thread starter Janiceleong26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomers
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the number of cis-trans isomers in a compound with three C=C bonds. While the initial thought was that there would be six possibilities, it is actually eight because each bond can have two possible configurations. This is determined through permutations, not just probabilities.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

I chose B, because since there are 3 C=C in the compound and each C=C constituting in both cis-trans isomers. But the correct answer is C, how come there are 8?

Sorry the title should be "how many cis-trans isomers"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:
I chose B, because since there are 3 C=C in the compound and each C=C constituting in both cis-trans isomers.
So there are two possibilities at the first double bond, two possibilities at the second, and two possibilities at the third. How many possibilities in total?

DrClaude said:
So there are two possibilities at the first double bond, two possibilities at the second, and two possibilities at the third. How many possibilities in total?
6?

Janiceleong26 said:
6?
No. Think of it as a coin toss.

DrClaude said:
No. Think of it as a coin toss.
Well.. In a coin toss, the probability of getting either a heads or a tail is 1/2. So if we toss three times, then the total probability of getting either a heads or a tail would be (1/2)^3 , am I right?
But if we were to choose the number of ways, shouldn't it be..permutations?

Janiceleong26 said:
Well.. In a coin toss, the probability of getting either a heads or a tail is 1/2. So if we toss three times, then the total probability of getting either a heads or a tail would be (1/2)^3 , am I right?
Right. But you should be looking at how many possible outcomes.

You're so close that I'll give it away: you have to multiply the possibilities, so you get 23 = 8 possible outcomes:
CCC CCT CTC TCC CTT TCT TTC TTT

DrClaude said:
Right. But you should be looking at how many possible outcomes.

You're so close that I'll give it away: you have to multiply the possibilities, so you get 23 = 8 possible outcomes:
CCC CCT CTC TCC CTT TCT TTC TTT
I see. Thanks!

Related to Possible Outcomes for Cis-Trans Isomers

1. How do you determine the number of cis-teams isomers?

The number of cis-teams isomers can be determined by counting the number of possible arrangements of the cis-teams in a molecule. This can be done using mathematical formulas or by drawing out the structures and identifying the different isomers.

2. What are cis-teams isomers?

Cis-teams isomers are a type of geometric isomers, meaning they have the same chemical formula but differ in the spatial arrangement of their atoms. In cis-teams isomers, the atoms are arranged in a specific way that results in different physical and chemical properties.

3. How do cis-teams isomers differ from trans-teams isomers?

Cis-teams isomers have the atoms arranged on the same side of the molecule, while trans-teams isomers have the atoms arranged on opposite sides. This difference in arrangement can affect the molecule's polarity, melting point, and other properties.

4. What is the significance of cis-teams isomers?

Cis-teams isomers are important because they can have different biological activities and properties compared to their trans-teams isomer counterparts. This makes them crucial in the pharmaceutical industry for developing new drugs with specific properties.

5. Can you give an example of cis-teams isomers?

One example of cis-teams isomers is cis-1,2-dichloroethylene and trans-1,2-dichloroethylene. Both molecules have the same chemical formula (C2H2Cl2) but differ in their spatial arrangement, resulting in different physical and chemical properties.