Possibility of an electric flame thrower?

• Thread starter relativelyslow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary: But anyways, your idea is a good one, but I'm not sure if it would actually work. I think it would work because the electricity would follow the gas stream seeking neutrality, but I'm not sure if a charged gas stream will be attainable or how the stream would react with the air it is being shot into.
relativelyslow
possibility of an electric "flame"thrower?

this idea has kind of been laying quietly in my thoughts for a month or two. if i take something that emits electric bolts, like a tesla coil, would i be able to direct the bolts with a stream of oppositely charged gas (i imagine the stream of air shooting out of an empty super soaker)? i would think it would work because the electricity would follow the gas stream seeking neutrality. the problems are i don't know if a charged gas stream will be attainable (is this strictly plasma?) or how the stream would react with the air it is being shot into. any input would be appreciated. thanks

...when you see that blue-white bolt, as in lightning, tesla coil, or jacob's ladder, what is the charge of it? i always kind of thought it was negative because i hear electricity flows through electrons. (or is there really no charge and the light emitted is due to the union of a negative and positive charge?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure! I was watching the discovery channel, some people studying lightning did that exact same thing, kind of. They had some kind of inert gas, in the path of a high frequency ultraviolet LASER, a UVASER... and studied the lightning they made in the vicinity of the uvaser and gas.

hmm...excellent. how would one acquire this charged gas? is there a difference between my proposal and the discovery channel experiment? i would be shooting electricity directly into the gas stream whereas their electricity seemed to be the result of shooting something else into it.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20041227/lightning_zoom0.html
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20041227/lightning.html
This wasn't the show, but it was pretty much the same thing that was on it.

http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/1367-2630/4/1/361/nj2161.html
http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/1367-2630/4/1/361/nj2161.pdf
From iop, these are the same thing, the second being a pdf.

I'd have to say your proposal was exactly the same. You know what? I hate it when that happens, I think of something, it's a great idea, and it could really work, then I find out a week later, its already been done a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Possibility of an electric flame thrower?

1. Is it possible to create an electric flame thrower?

Yes, it is possible to create an electric flame thrower. In fact, there are already existing prototypes and designs for such a device.

2. How does an electric flame thrower work?

An electric flame thrower works by using electricity to ignite and spray a flammable fuel, such as propane or gasoline, through a nozzle. The electricity heats up the fuel, turning it into a gas that is then ignited by a spark or flame at the end of the nozzle.

3. What are the advantages of an electric flame thrower compared to traditional flame throwers?

One advantage of an electric flame thrower is that it does not require a continuous supply of fuel, as it can be powered by a battery. This makes it more portable and easier to use in different environments. Additionally, it does not produce harmful emissions or fumes, making it more environmentally friendly.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using an electric flame thrower?

As with any device that produces flames, there are safety concerns with using an electric flame thrower. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and handle the device with caution. Also, the use of flammable fuels can pose a fire hazard if not used properly.

5. Can electric flame throwers be used for self-defense purposes?

While electric flame throwers may seem like a powerful and intimidating weapon, they are not legal for civilian use in most countries. They are primarily used for industrial or military purposes, and it is important to check local laws and regulations before attempting to use one for self-defense.