Positronium emitted wavelengths

• Thread starter stefan.t1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelengths
In summary, the conversation was about using the concept of reduced mass to model the electron orbiting a positron nucleus in a hypothetical positronium atom. The goal was to show that the emitted wavelengths from such an atom would be twice that of a hydrogen atom with an infinitely heavy nucleus. The person discussing the topic used the formula (M/m+M)Rinf=Rm and the Balmer formula to calculate the emitted wavelengths and asked for confirmation that this approach was correct.
stefan.t1990
Hey everyone so I'm having some trouble figuring out how to approach this question. I don't need a step by step solution just an idea of how I should approach the question and maybe some specifics on how to apply needed concepts such as reduced mass. Thank you.

"Assuming positronium were a normal atom, show that the wavelengths of the emitted lines would be double those emitted by a hydrogen atom ( assuming an infinitely heavy nucleus)."

Physics news on Phys.org
I used reduced mass to model the electron as orbiting the nucleus(positron). I used the formula: (M/m+M)Rinf=Rm, and then used the new value of Rm along with the Balmer formula to obtain emitted wavelengths. Can somebody confirm this is correct?

Related to Positronium emitted wavelengths

1. What is Positronium emitted wavelength?

Positronium emitted wavelength refers to the specific wavelengths of light that are emitted when a positron and an electron combine and annihilate each other, releasing energy in the form of photons. These wavelengths are determined by the energy levels of the positronium atom.

2. How is the wavelength of Positronium emitted determined?

The wavelength of Positronium emitted is determined by the energy levels of the positronium atom, which depend on the distance between the positron and the electron. As the positron and electron get closer together, the energy levels increase, resulting in shorter wavelengths of emitted light.

3. What is the difference between ortho-positronium and para-positronium?

Ortho-positronium is a form of positronium where the spins of the positron and electron are aligned in the same direction, resulting in a longer lifetime and lower energy levels. Para-positronium, on the other hand, has opposite spin orientations, resulting in a shorter lifetime and higher energy levels.

4. How does the environment affect Positronium emitted wavelengths?

The environment can affect the energy levels and thus the emitted wavelengths of Positronium. For example, in a gas or liquid, collisions with other particles can change the energy levels and result in a broadening of the emitted spectral lines.

5. What is the significance of studying Positronium emitted wavelengths?

The study of Positronium emitted wavelengths can provide insight into the nature of matter and antimatter interactions. It can also help in understanding and developing new technologies, such as positron emission tomography (PET) for medical imaging.