Positive feedbacks and negative feedbacks (global warming)

In summary, the conversation discusses a feedback loop involving Clouds, Rainfall, and Forest Area. The relationships between these components are positive couplings, meaning that they all have a positive impact on each other. However, there are also some negative feedback effects, such as the limit to the rain fall rate and the decrease in plant evapotranspiration due to increased cloud formation. The loop may be related to the temperature, but it is not clear how it works and there may be some flaws in its structure.
TheMathNoob

Homework Statement

Consider the feedback loop involving Clouds, Rainfall and forest area.
All the relationships represented in this figure show positive couplings between the components:
Forest area is positively coupled to rainfall, plant evapotranspiration is positively coupled to forest area, and rainfall is positively coupled to plant evapotranspiration.

Is this a positive or negative feedback loop

Homework Equations

Forest Area-> Plant evapotranspiration and rain cloud formation
Plant evapotranspiration and rain cloud formation->Rainfall
Rainfall->Forest Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't actually understand that loop because I can't see the invariant. In my class we are analyzing how those feedbacks influence the variation of the temperature. In this case, I can't see the invariant or I don't know if this loop is related to the temperature. Can someone explain me how this loop works?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheMathNoob said:
[1] Forest Area-> Plant evapotranspiration and rain cloud formation
[2] Plant evapotranspiration and rain cloud formation->Rainfall
[3] Rainfall->Forest Area
Hi MathNoob:

I confess I also find this loop a bit puzzling.

I added number in brackets to your quote for ease of reference.

First I would think that [1] involved 2 distinct steps:
[1a] Forest Area-> Plant evapotranspiration
[1b] Plant evapotranspiration -> cloud formation​

Next, [3] has a limit.
[3x] If rain fall rate grows too much, flooding will reduce forest areas.​
Also,
[3y] If rain fall rate diminishes too much, drought will reduce forest areas.​
Therefore, rainfall rate has an optimum range, and less or more is bad for the forest growth. I think this is sufficient to break the loop.

Also, the is another link in the opposite direction, that is a negative feedback effect..
[1bx] Cloud formation -> Plant evapotranspiration​
If cloud formation increases, Plant evapotranspiration will decrease due to reduced sunlight.
So now there is a negative feedback loop:
Increasing Plant evapotranspiration -> Increasing cloud formation -> Decreasing Plant evapotranspiration​

All in all I think this "All the relationships represented in this figure show positive couplings between the components" is seriously flawed.

I also don't understand the following:

I can't see the invariant or I don't know if this loop is related to the temperature. Can someone explain me how this loop works?​
I don't understand what you mean by "invariant", or what "the solution" is supposed to solve. I am guessing the solution is supposed to determine the trend of something, and that is some variable lioke temperature.

So, as I discussed above, I don't think this "loop" works. I am guessing that:
(1) the student is supposed to ignore reality facts that contradict the premises of the "loop", and
(2a) that the (unrealistic) never ending increase in forests, clouds and rain causes a never ending increase in water vapor in the atmosphere, and
(2b) the increase of water vapor (a greenhouse gas) causes an increase in temperature.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi MathNoob:

I confess I also find this loop a bit puzzling.

I added number in brackets to your quote for ease of reference.

First I would think that [1] involved 2 distinct steps:
[1a] Forest Area-> Plant evapotranspiration
[1b] Plant evapotranspiration -> cloud formation​

Next, [3] has a limit.
[3x] If rain fall rate grows too much, flooding will reduce forest areas.​
Also,
[3y] If rain fall rate diminishes too much, drought will reduce forest areas.​
Therefore, rainfall rate has an optimum range, and less or more is bad for the forest growth. I think this is sufficient to break the loop.

Also, the is another link in the opposite direction, that is a negative feedback effect..
[1bx] Cloud formation -> Plant evapotranspiration​
If cloud formation increases, Plant evapotranspiration will decrease due to reduced sunlight.
So now there is a negative feedback loop:
Increasing Plant evapotranspiration -> Increasing cloud formation -> Decreasing Plant evapotranspiration​

All in all I think this "All the relationships represented in this figure show positive couplings between the components" is seriously flawed.

I also don't understand the following:

Regards,
Buzz
Never mind what I said. I understand now what is going on, but consider just the positive feedbacks. The problem is telling us that there is just positive feedbacks between the events, so it would be a positive or a negative feedback loop?

Hi MathNoob:

I edited some addition to my previous post while you were posting #3. Your #3 seems to confirm some of my guesses.

Regards,
Buzz

Related to Positive feedbacks and negative feedbacks (global warming)

1. What is the difference between positive and negative feedbacks in relation to global warming?

Positive feedbacks amplify the effects of global warming, while negative feedbacks counteract or slow down its effects.

2. What are some examples of positive feedbacks in global warming?

Examples of positive feedbacks include melting sea ice, which reduces the Earth's albedo and increases the amount of absorbed solar radiation, and the release of methane from thawing permafrost, which further contributes to greenhouse gas emissions.

3. How do negative feedbacks help mitigate the effects of global warming?

Negative feedbacks can help mitigate the effects of global warming by absorbing excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and storing it in plants and soils, as well as increasing cloud cover which reflects more sunlight back into space.

4. How have human activities affected the balance of positive and negative feedbacks in global warming?

Human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation, have increased the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, which has tipped the balance towards positive feedbacks and amplified the effects of global warming.

5. Can positive feedbacks be stopped or reversed?

While some positive feedbacks, like the melting of sea ice, can be stopped or reversed by reducing greenhouse gas emissions, others, like the release of methane from thawing permafrost, may be more difficult to control. It is important for us to take immediate action to reduce our carbon footprint and mitigate the effects of positive feedbacks on global warming.