Positive and negative work in terms of energy.

In summary, positive work is work that adds energy to one part of a system and negative work is work that subtracts energy from one part of a system.
D. Wani
How would we define positive and negative work in terms of energy? When the force and displacement are in opposite directions, we say the work done by the force is negative. When the force and displacement are in the same direction, we say the work done by the force is positive. However, how we would define the two in terms of energy. As far as I have understood this concept, I believe that whenever a force is supplying energy to a body(the work done gets converted into kinetic energy), it is positive work. But whenever, the force is draining the body of its kinetic energy and converting it into other forms (like thermal energy), it is negative work. Is this correct? If it isn't, what is the correct way to relate energy and work. And can someone please elaborate this topic? Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy exchange is like a financial transaction: Someone's credit is inevitably someone else's debit. Trying to define what is ultimately positive and negative is pointless.

In every situation work is positive from one point of view and negative from another. Or, at least, that's a better way to start thinking about it.

Likes IgorIGP
PeroK said:
Energy exchange is like a financial transaction: Someone's credit is inevitably someone else's debit. Trying to define what is ultimately positive and negative is pointless.

In every situation work is positive from one point of view and negative from another. Or, at least, that's a better way to start thinking about it.
What if we had to analyze whether a particular force was doing positive or negative work?

D. Wani said:
What if we had to analyze whether a particular force was doing positive or negative work?

Work is defined to be positive or negative as you have described. ##W = F.dr## If overall energy is conserved in a system, then it follows that the work ##W##, whether positive or negative, must be adding energy to one part of the system and subtracting it from another.

That was my point. The work gets added to one component of the total energy and subtracted from another.

I think you understand all this from your first post, which I may have misunderstood. I thought you were trying to equate postive work with positive energy. In terms of the KE of an object subject to a force, it's true that positive work equates to an increase in KE and negative work to a decrease.

Rereading your post, I'm no longer sure what your question is! In terms of forces, work and KE I think you understand that.

PeroK said:
In terms of the KE of an object subject to a force, it's true that positive work equates to an increase in KE and negative work to a decrease.
This is the answer I was looking for. Thank you.
I basically wanted to know what negative and positive work are in terms of energy loss and gain.

let's imagine that we are on the tennis court.
Tennis gun shoots two balls almost simultaneously. Let the first ball flies over the net almost touching it.
Let the second shot a little weaker than the first. This leads to the fact that a second ball hits into the net. We see that the second ball loses energy and hence his work is negative. Ant sitting on the first ball sees that the the net hits the second ball, and it has accelerated. This is because before the hit both balls were fixed relative to each other. So, the ball has incrised its KE from the ant's point of view.
This means that it is necessary to recognize the relativity of any sign of work or abandon the theory of relativity. And the second way is also a possible option!:biggrin:

Thanks

Related to Positive and negative work in terms of energy.

What is the difference between positive and negative work in terms of energy?

Positive work refers to the transfer of energy from one object to another, resulting in an increase in the kinetic or potential energy of the receiving object. Negative work, on the other hand, occurs when energy is taken away from an object, resulting in a decrease in its kinetic or potential energy.

How is positive and negative work calculated?

The calculation of work involves multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the force. In the case of positive work, the force and displacement are in the same direction, resulting in a positive value. For negative work, the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value.

What are some examples of positive and negative work in everyday life?

Positive work can be seen in actions such as lifting a book off a table, pushing a shopping cart, or throwing a ball. These actions all result in an increase in the kinetic or potential energy of the object being moved. Negative work can be seen in actions such as braking a car, lowering a heavy object, or catching a falling object. These actions all result in a decrease in the kinetic or potential energy of the object.

Can positive work be converted into negative work?

No, positive and negative work cannot be converted into one another. They are two separate forms of work that result in opposite effects on the energy of an object. However, positive and negative work can both be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal or mechanical energy.

How is the concept of positive and negative work related to the conservation of energy?

The concept of positive and negative work is closely related to the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In the case of positive work, energy is being transferred to an object, while in the case of negative work, energy is being transferred away from an object. Overall, the total amount of energy in a system remains constant.