Positive and neagtive charge carriers current

In summary: In a more confined plasma like an electron gun, the electrons are concentrated in one region and the protons are concentrated in another so the current density is higher in one region than the other.
lufc88
What would happen hypothetically if there was a positive charged particle the same size as an electron (that wasn't antimatter), that carried current in the opposite direction in a wire to a normal conventional current in another wire? According to the Lorentz force they would attract so again could these wires carry current in the opposite direction and alternate so both ends of the wire would be receiving current at exactly the same time? Wouldn't this mean that it would be more efficient than normal current?

Could charge ever be artificially induced in a material at a particle level giving a neutron a positive charge or an electron a positive one?

Physics news on Phys.org
This happens all the time in plasmas and electrolytes (except for the "same size" bit). In each case there are both positive and negative charge carriers at the same time. So typically a current in a plasma or an electrolyte will consist of motion of both types of charge carriers in opposite directions.

I've heard there are things called thyratron's as well and that they can handle much greater currents than similar hard vacuum valves/tubes since the positive ions carry considerable current.

So the other thing I'm asking is could we ever change a particles charge somehow or is this impossible?

lufc88 said:
So the other thing I'm asking is could we ever change a particles charge somehow or is this impossible?
A particle's charge is part of what defines the particle. E.g. the negative charge is part of the definition of an electron. So, if you changed its charge to positive then it would no longer be an electron.

Also, charge is conserved. So if you changed one particle from positive to negative then you would have to simultaneously change another from negative to positive.

lufc88 said:
According to the Lorentz force they would attract so again could these wires carry current in the opposite direction and alternate so both ends of the wire would be receiving current at exactly the same time? Wouldn't this mean that it would be more efficient than normal current?

I don't believe so, and it would probably be hell on certain electronic components that depend on a one-way flow of current such as a diode. It would take energy to move these particles, so I would guess you would get half the current as normal moving in each direction using the same amount of power.

The definition of current pays no heed to the direction of the actual charge carriers. After all, it was a long time before they realized that the direction flow of the carriers was the opposite to the flow of the conventional current. This is all a bit bogus, I think.

Thanks for the replies everyone. What sort of currents are there in plasmas could you tell me more about them?

I don't know exactly what you mean by "sorts" of currents, but in a hydrogen plasma like the sun you basically have protons and electrons as free charge carriers. So any e-field will send electrons one way and protons the other making a total current density which is the sum of the current densities of the protons and electrons separately.

Related to Positive and neagtive charge carriers current

1. What is the difference between positive and negative charge carriers?

Positive charge carriers refer to particles that have a positive charge, such as protons. Negative charge carriers refer to particles that have a negative charge, such as electrons. These particles are responsible for carrying electrical current in a material.

2. How do positive and negative charge carriers contribute to current?

In order for current to flow, there must be a movement of charged particles. Positive charge carriers move in one direction, while negative charge carriers move in the opposite direction. The flow of these particles creates an electrical current.

3. What is the relationship between positive and negative charge carriers in a material?

In most materials, there are both positive and negative charge carriers present. However, the concentration of each type of carrier may vary depending on the material. In conductors, there are a higher number of free electrons (negative charge carriers), while in insulators, there are a lower number of free electrons and more bound electrons (positive charge carriers).

4. How does the movement of positive and negative charge carriers affect the conductivity of a material?

The movement of charge carriers greatly affects the conductivity of a material. In conductors, the free movement of both positive and negative charge carriers allows for a high conductivity, while in insulators, the restricted movement of charge carriers results in a lower conductivity.

5. Can positive and negative charge carriers be separated in a material?

Yes, it is possible to separate positive and negative charge carriers in a material. This can be achieved through processes such as electrolysis, where an electric current is used to move charged particles in a particular direction. This separation of charge carriers is important in many technological applications, such as batteries and electronic devices.