Position vs. Time graph equation

In summary, during the lab on the acceleration due to gravity, the speaker used a spark timer to mark a strip of paper and measured the distance of each mark with a 2m stick to create a distance vs time graph. They then created a best fit polynomial line of degree 2 and found the equation of the fit line to be in the form of ___x^2+___x+___, with the coefficients representing acceleration. When asked why the x^2 coefficient was multiplied by 2 to get acceleration, the speaker was stumped. They were then prompted to compare the coefficients in the kinematic equation y(t) = at2 + bt + c, leading to the realization that the fitted coefficients and the known kinematic equation
lcary
I just completed a lab on the acceleration due to gravity and I have to answer a few questions about my data. Before I share what I am confused about I will give a quick run through of the lab procedures:

--First I used a spark timer to mark a strip of paper with a clamp attached to it and let the strip free fall. Then I measured the distance of each mark made from the spark timer with a 2m stick and made a distance vs time graph from the data. I made a best fit polynomial line of degree 2 and found the equation of the fit line that turned out to have the form ___x^2+___x+___, where the ___ is where my coefficients are. I multiplied the x^2 coefficient by 2 to get acceleration.

One of the lab follow up questions asked me why I multiply that coefficient by 2 to get acceleration and I am totally stumped.

Can someone explain why multiplying by 2 gives accel?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In your polynomial fit, x represents time (independent variable) and position is y (dependent variable). You fitted coefficients a, b and c to the equation

y(t) = at2 + bt + c.

What kinematic equation gives y(t)? Compare the coefficients between what you know to be the case and what you fitted.

Related to Position vs. Time graph equation

1. What is a position vs. time graph equation?

A position vs. time graph equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an object's position and the time it takes to reach that position. It is often used in physics to describe the motion of an object.

2. How is a position vs. time graph equation calculated?

The equation is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. This gives the average velocity of the object, which is represented by the slope of the graph. The equation is typically written as v = Δx/Δt.

3. What does the slope of a position vs. time graph equation represent?

The slope of a position vs. time graph equation represents the object's velocity. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower velocity. A horizontal line represents a constant velocity, while a curved line represents a changing velocity.

4. How does the shape of a position vs. time graph equation relate to an object's motion?

The shape of the graph can provide information about an object's motion. A straight line with a positive slope indicates constant forward motion, while a straight line with a negative slope indicates constant backward motion. A curved line can represent changing velocity, such as speeding up or slowing down.

5. What other information can be determined from a position vs. time graph equation?

In addition to velocity, a position vs. time graph equation can also provide information about an object's displacement, acceleration, and distance traveled. By analyzing the shape and slope of the graph, one can determine the overall motion of the object and make predictions about its future motion.