Position, Velocity, and Acceleration of a Golf Ball at t = 1.20 s

In summary, the conversation discusses a golf ball being hit off a tee at the edge of a cliff, with its x and y coordinates as functions of time given by specific expressions. The conversation then goes on to discuss writing vector expressions for the ball's position, velocity, and acceleration as functions of time, and using these expressions to find the position, velocity, and acceleration at a specific time t=1.20s.
ramin86
A golf ball is hit off a tee at the edge of a cliff. Its x and y coordinates as functions of time are given by the following expressions.

x = (15.0 m/s)t

y = (2.00 m/s)t - (4.90 m/s2)t2

(a) Write a vector expression for the ball's position as a function of time, using the unit vectors i and j. (Use t, i and j as necessary.)

Physics news on Phys.org
You have all the information you need. v = a*i+b*j where i is the x direction and j is the y direction. a and b specify the magnitude of the i and j directions, respectively. I am not sure how to answer this question without just flat out telling you.

Say you have the cartesian point (3,4)

in vector form this is 3i+4j

yeah lol, got that one and the next couple, but having trouble with the next few:
(a) Write a vector expression for the ball's position as a function of time, using the unit vectors i and j. (Use t, i and j as necessary.) Got this one
r = correct check mark m
(b) By taking derivatives, obtain an expression for the velocity vector v as a function of time. Got this one
v = correct check mark m/s
(c) By taking derivatives, obtain an expression for the acceleration vector a as a function of time. Got this one
a = correct check mark m/s2

Don't get these :
(d) Next use unit vector notation to write an expression for the position of the golf ball at t = 1.20 s.
r(1.20 s) = ( m ) i + ( m ) j
(e) Write an expression for the velocity at this time.
v(1.20 s) = ( m/s ) i + ( m/s ) j
(f) Write an expression for the acceleration at this time.
a(1.20 s) = ( m/s2 ) j

lol nevermind, got them all

ramin86 said:
yeah lol, got that one and the next couple, but having trouble with the next few:
(a) Write a vector expression for the ball's position as a function of time, using the unit vectors i and j. (Use t, i and j as necessary.) Got this one
r = correct check mark m
(b) By taking derivatives, obtain an expression for the velocity vector v as a function of time. Got this one
v = correct check mark m/s
(c) By taking derivatives, obtain an expression for the acceleration vector a as a function of time. Got this one
a = correct check mark m/s2

Don't get these :
(d) Next use unit vector notation to write an expression for the position of the golf ball at t = 1.20 s.
r(1.20 s) = ( m ) i + ( m ) j
(e) Write an expression for the velocity at this time.
v(1.20 s) = ( m/s ) i + ( m/s ) j
(f) Write an expression for the acceleration at this time.
a(1.20 s) = ( m/s2 ) j

I think semantics are messing you up. All they're asking is using the formulae you derived, plug t = 1.20s into each of them: position for d, velocity for e and acceleration for f. Your previous equations should have told you what the i and j components will be at any time t.

Related to Position, Velocity, and Acceleration of a Golf Ball at t = 1.20 s

1. What is the "golf ball vector problem"?

The golf ball vector problem is a physics problem that involves determining the direction and magnitude of a golf ball's velocity after it has been struck by a golf club.

2. What factors affect the golf ball's vector?

The golf ball's vector can be affected by several factors, including the angle of the club face, the speed of the club head, and the spin of the ball.

3. How is the vector of a golf ball calculated?

The vector of a golf ball can be calculated using the principles of physics, specifically the laws of motion and the conservation of momentum. It involves taking into account the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it was struck, and any external forces acting on the ball.

4. Why is the golf ball vector problem important?

The golf ball vector problem is important for understanding the dynamics of a golf swing and how various factors can affect the trajectory of the ball. It also has practical applications for golfers looking to improve their game by optimizing their swing.

5. How can the golf ball vector problem be solved?

The golf ball vector problem can be solved using mathematical equations and computer simulations. It can also be solved experimentally by measuring the ball's trajectory and analyzing the data. Additionally, advancements in technology have allowed for the development of specialized tools and equipment to aid in solving this problem.