Solve Trigonometric Equations with LaTeX: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about using LaTeX for homework and finding an online system or software to input and display LaTeX code visually. The conversation also mentions different mathematical equations and the use of LaTeX2rtf to convert LaTeX files to .rtf format for use in Word.
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm like writing my homework out on a computer and find LateX the easiest code to use (I have a fairly easy one at home but at college their maths editors are very limited)

I was going to use the preview post function to copy and paste everything into word but unfortunately it just stays the same no matter what I do (stuck on my first preview post). I am going to use and edit this thread for my homework but could someone please give a link of an online system where I can input LateX code and get a visual display of it.

1a) [tex]{ \left[ \cos{ \frac{2 \pi}{5}} +i\sin{ \frac{2 \pi}{5}} \right] }^{10}[/tex]

[tex]\cos{4\pi} + i\sin{4\pi} = 1[/tex]

b) [tex] { \left[ \cos{\frac{\pi}{12}} + i\sin{\frac{\pi}{12}} \right] }^8 [/tex]

[tex] \cos{\frac{3\pi}{4}} + i\sin{\frac{3\pi}{4}} = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} + \frac{i\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

c) [tex] {\left[ \cos{\left(-\frac{\pi}{27}\right)} + i\sin{\left(-\frac{\pi}{27}\right)} \right]}^9 [/tex]

[tex] \cos{\left(-\frac{\pi}{3}\right)} + i\sin{\left(-\frac{\pi}{3}\right)} = \frac{1}{2} - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/tex]

d) [tex] {\left( \cos{\frac{\pi}{18}} - i\sin{\frac{\pi}{18}} \right)}^3[/tex]

[tex] {\left( \cos{\left[-\frac{\pi}{18} \right]} + i\sin{\left[-\frac{\pi}{18}\right]} \right)}^3[/tex]

[tex] \cos{\left[-\frac{\pi}{6}\right]} + i\sin{\left[-\frac{\pi}{6}\right]} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} + \frac{i}{2}[/tex]

2) [tex] z = 2(1 - i\sqrt{3}) [/tex]

[tex] z = 2 - i2\sqrt{3} [/tex]

[tex] |z| = 4 [/tex]

[tex] arg(z) = -\frac{\pi}{3} [/tex]

[tex]z^8 = \left[ 4 \left( \cos{\frac{\pi}{3}} + i\sin{\frac{\pi}{3}} \right) \right]^8 [/tex]

[tex] z^8 = 4^8 \left( \cos{\frac{8\pi}{3}} + i\sin{\frac{8\pi}{3}} \right) [/tex]

[tex] z^8 = 65536 \left( -\frac{1}{2} + \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2} \right) [/tex]

[tex] z^8 = -16384 + i16384\sqrt{3} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{z^5} = z^{-5} [/tex]

[tex] z^{-5} = \left[ 4 \left( \cos{\frac{\pi}{3}} + i\sin{\frac{\pi}{3}} \right) \right]^{-5} [/tex]

[tex] z^{-5} = 4^{-5} \left( \cos{\frac{-5\pi}{3}} + i\sin{\frac{-5\pi}{3}} \right) [/tex]

[tex] z^{-5} = \frac{1}{1024} \left( \frac{1}{2} + \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2} \right) [/tex]

[tex]z^{-5} = \frac{1}{2048} + \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2048}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zurtex, as LaTeX is free source software, you should be able to get a version of it for your platform, no need for online products, and no need for Word after all.

If you want to process LaTeX in a visual editor, you should look for non freee platforms such as SciTeX.

Originally posted by arivero
Zurtex, as LaTeX is free source software, you should be able to get a version of it for your platform, no need for online products, and no need for Word after all.

If you want to process LaTeX in a visual editor, you should look for non freee platforms such as SciTeX.
O.K thanks, well I'll set that up at home, however at college I have no rights to add or remove software.

I was going to use the preview post function to copy and paste everything into word but unfortunately it just stays the same no matter what I do (stuck on my first preview post). I am going to use and edit this thread for my homework but could someone please give a link of an online system where I can input LateX code and get a visual display of it.
Do a google search for "latex2rtf". I found a free latex to .rtf file program which can be read by word. But I haven't used it yet.

Regards

Originally posted by dlgoff
Do a google search for "latex2rtf". I found a free latex to .rtf file program which can be read by word. But I haven't used it yet.

Regards
Thanks, although I've never wrote anything in proper latex, I'm sure I'll find the correct teaching documents.

1. What is Latex and why is it commonly used for writing scientific papers?

Latex is a typesetting language that is commonly used for writing scientific papers due to its ability to produce high-quality, professional-looking documents. It is particularly useful for creating complex mathematical equations and symbols, which are essential in scientific writing.

2. Do I need to have coding experience to write a paper using Latex?

While some coding experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of coding to write a paper using Latex. There are many user-friendly Latex editors available that allow you to write documents without needing to write any code.

3. Can I collaborate with others on a Latex document?

Yes, Latex allows for collaboration on documents through version control systems such as Git. This allows multiple authors to work on the same document simultaneously, making it easier to collaborate on a paper with colleagues or co-authors.

4. How do I include figures and tables in a Latex document?

Figures and tables can be included in a Latex document using the "figure" and "table" environments. These allow you to insert images and tables with captions and labels. You can also refer to these figures and tables within the text using labels and cross-referencing commands.

5. Are there any templates or packages available for writing papers in Latex?

Yes, there are many templates and packages available for writing papers in Latex, including specific templates for various journals and conferences. These templates provide a pre-formatted document with the appropriate margins, fonts, and formatting guidelines, making it easier to create a professional-looking paper.