Position Varying Electric Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving inserting variables into an equation and using triangles to determine the direction of a field. The individual is unsure about how to approach parts two, three, and four of the problem and seeks clarification. They eventually figure it out by taking the derivative and changing the sign.
Refrost
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3786/66134795.png

Part one was simple enough, just insert the variables in the equation given

V = (5)(92)(7) - (9)(9)(6) - (9)(72) = 1908 V

Part two, three and four is where I am getting confused.

Usually I would use triangles to figure out components but I am unable to figure out the direction of the field just based on the information given.

I'm not sure if I am thinking about this the wrong way or if I am misunderstanding some of the information given. Any thoughts that could get me thinking in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use

[tex]\vec{E}=- \vec{\nabla} V[/tex]

Thanks for the quick response. I got it.

Just take the derivative with respect to the component you you're looking for and change the +/- sign.

Thanks!

Related to Position Varying Electric Potential

What is position varying electric potential?

Position varying electric potential refers to the change in electric potential as a function of position in an electric field. This means that the electric potential at a certain point will be different from the potential at another point due to the varying distance and distribution of charges.

How is position varying electric potential measured?

The electric potential at a specific point can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter measures the difference in electric potential between two points, allowing for the calculation of the potential at a specific point. Additionally, computer simulations and mathematical models can be used to calculate the potential at different positions in an electric field.

What factors affect position varying electric potential?

The electric potential at a certain point is affected by the distance between charges, the magnitude and distribution of charges, and the medium through which the electric field is passing. The potential also varies depending on the direction of the electric field and the shape of the electric field lines.

How is position varying electric potential related to electric field?

The electric potential at a point is directly related to the electric field at that point. The electric field is the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed in the field, while the electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point. The electric field can be calculated from the electric potential using the formula E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator.

Why is position varying electric potential important?

Position varying electric potential is important as it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and the interactions between charges in an electric field. It is also crucial in the design and operation of electrical devices and technologies, such as capacitors, batteries, and electric circuits.