Position of a body moving by Newtons Univ. Law. of Grav., at a point in time

In summary: GIn summary, the conversation discusses coding a simulation for animating the motion of two bodies, specifically the Sun and Earth using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation. The main problem is obtaining acceleration, velocity, and position vectors at an arbitrary point in the future, which may require definite integration for elliptical orbits. Conservation of angular momentum is also mentioned as a key factor in determining the position of the planet at a given time.
amn
Hi all,

I am trying to code a simulation that pins two bodies against each other and animates their motion. I am using Sun and Earth as example, with preset positions and velocities, and Newtons Law of Universal Gravitation formula. It all works quite alright, up until I have decided to link my animation to a real clock source, which immediately presented the problem of obtaining acceleration, velocity and position vectors not just iteratively as I was used to, but at an arbitrary point in the future. We're talking delta-T here. I am not sure how to approach this problem.

Formally, say I have masses, position, acceleration, velocity vectors for both bodies and want to calculate position after a time interval T in the future.

Will there be definite integration involved?

Physics news on Phys.org
amn said:
Hi all,

I am trying to code a simulation that pins two bodies against each other and animates their motion. I am using Sun and Earth as example, with preset positions and velocities, and Newtons Law of Universal Gravitation formula. It all works quite alright, up until I have decided to link my animation to a real clock source, which immediately presented the problem of obtaining acceleration, velocity and position vectors not just iteratively as I was used to, but at an arbitrary point in the future. We're talking delta-T here. I am not sure how to approach this problem.

Formally, say I have masses, position, acceleration, velocity vectors for both bodies and want to calculate position after a time interval T in the future.

Will there be definite integration involved?
The orbit can be described in polar co-ordinates of radius and angle by the following equation:

[tex]r = a(1 - e^2)/(1 + e\cos(\theta))[/tex]

where r is the distance from the focus of the ellipse (ie. the position of the sun), a is the semi-major axis of the orbit, e is the eccentricity of the orbit and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle through which the planet has moved since perigee (minimum r).

It is easy to find the angle as a function of t for a circular orbit (e = 0 => r = a for all [itex]\theta[/itex]). It just becomes:

[tex](r,\theta) = 2\pi at/T[/tex]

where T is the period of the orbit and t is the time after perigee.

It is much more difficult for elliptical orbits (e>0). To determine [itex]\theta[/itex] at a given time one has to use conservation of angular momentum. L = mvr where L is constant (same for all time). The planet sweeps out equal areas in the orbital plane in equal times. It is a difficult calculation.

AM

Related to Position of a body moving by Newtons Univ. Law. of Grav., at a point in time

1. What is Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation?

Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the position of a body moving by Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation change over time?

The position of a body moving by Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation changes over time due to the influence of gravitational forces from other objects in the universe. This can cause the body to accelerate or decelerate, changing its velocity and ultimately its position.

3. Can the position of a body moving by Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation be predicted?

Yes, the position of a body moving by Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation can be predicted using mathematical equations that take into account the mass and distance of all objects exerting gravitational forces on the body.

4. How does the position of a body moving by Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation differ from the position of a body moving by Newton's First Law of Motion?

The position of a body moving by Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation is influenced by the gravitational forces of other objects, while the position of a body moving by Newton's First Law of Motion remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

5. Can Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation be applied to objects on Earth?

Yes, Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation can be applied to objects on Earth, although it is not as accurate for objects on a smaller scale due to the influence of other factors such as air resistance. It is most commonly used to explain the motion of astronomical objects in space.