Position Object for Inverted, Magnified Image with Concave Mirror

In summary, the equation for solving for the focal length of a concave mirror is f = (pq)/(p+q), where p is the distance of the object from the mirror and q is the distance of the image from the mirror. The image size does not change regardless of the values of p and q, but this may not hold true for an object placed in front of a concave mirror of focal length 10 cm to produce an image that is inverted and 2.5 times greater than the object. It is important to check this assumption and consider how the position and size of the image may change as the object is moved.
jsalapide
Where do you put an object in front of a concave mirror of focal length 10 cm to produce an image that is inverted and 2.5 times greater than the object?

I have no idea how to solve this.. help..

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the basic equations describing spherical mirrors and image formation?

i only know the equation on how to solve for the focal length

f= (pq)/(p+q)

where p is the distance of the object from the mirror and q as the distance of the image from the mirror.

Good. And how does image size relate to p and q?

i come to think of it, the image size does not change no matter what value of p and q is.

could that mean that there is no way that the image will be 2.5 times greater than the object?

jsalapide said:
i come to think of it, the image size does not change no matter what value of p and q is.
You'd better check that assumption. As you move the object around, the position and size of the image will change.

Related to Position Object for Inverted, Magnified Image with Concave Mirror

1. How does a concave mirror create an inverted, magnified image?

A concave mirror is curved inward, with a reflective surface on the inner side. When light rays hit the mirror, they are reflected towards a central focal point. This causes the image to be flipped and magnified because the light rays are converging towards the focal point.

2. What factors affect the position of the object for an inverted, magnified image with a concave mirror?

The position of the object can be affected by the distance between the object and the mirror, the curvature of the mirror, and the size of the object. The closer the object is to the mirror and the larger the curvature, the stronger the magnification will be.

3. Can an object be positioned at any distance from a concave mirror to create an inverted, magnified image?

No, the object must be placed between the focal point and the center of curvature of the mirror to create an inverted, magnified image. If the object is placed beyond the center of curvature, the image will be inverted but smaller in size.

4. How can I calculate the position of the object for a specific magnification with a concave mirror?

The position of the object can be calculated using the mirror equation: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length of the mirror, do is the distance between the object and the mirror, and di is the distance between the image and the mirror. Rearranging this equation will give you the position of the object, do = f(di-f)/di.

5. How can I change the magnification of the image produced by a concave mirror?

The magnification of the image can be changed by adjusting the distance between the object and the mirror. Moving the object closer to the mirror will increase the magnification, while moving it further away will decrease the magnification. The curvature of the mirror can also be changed to alter the magnification, with a larger curvature resulting in a stronger magnification.