Position and Momentum Operators

In summary, this person is trying to understand something about linear operators and matrices, but isn't sure how to proceed. They say that most textbooks avoid the integration business and state that \hat{X} = x and \hat{P} = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} instead.
Unit
I would just like some clarification and some assertion that I've got the right idea. Please correct everything I say!

For any observable [itex]A[/itex] over a finite-dimensional vector space with orthonormal basis kets [itex]\{|a_i\rangle\}_{i=1}^n[/itex] we can write
[tex]A = IAI = \left(\sum_{i=1}^n |a_i\rangle\langle a_i|\right) A \left(\sum_{j=1}^n |a_j\rangle\langle a_j|\right) = \sum_{i=1}^n |a_i\rangle\langle a_i| \sum_{j=1}^n A|a_j\rangle\langle a_j| = \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n |a_i\rangle\langle a_i|A|a_j\rangle\langle a_j| = \sum_{i,j} |a_i\rangle\langle a_j| \: \langle a_i|A|a_j\rangle \; \; (1)[/tex]
and we say that [itex]\langle a_i|A|a_j\rangle[/itex] is the coordinate representation of A.

My professor commonly talks about the coordinate representation of the momentum and position operators. I know these live in an infinite-dimensional vector space. Is this a Hilbert space? A rigged Hilbert space?

We know that [itex]\hat{X}[/itex] acts on vectors [itex]|x\rangle[/itex] such that [itex]\hat{X}|x\rangle = x|x\rangle[/itex]. Why can we write the following? What does it mean?
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx \; x \;|x\rangle\langle x| \; \; (2)[/tex]
For an arbitrary operator [itex]A[/itex] in this infinite-dimensional space, (suppressing the bounds of integration and writing x' to denote another variable and not the derivative of x),
[tex]A = IAI = \left(\int dx' \; |x'\rangle\langle x'|\right) A \left(\int dx \; |x\rangle\langle x|\right) = \int\int dx' dx \; |x'\rangle\langle x'|A|x\rangle\langle x| = \int\int dx' dx \; |x'\rangle\langle x| \; \langle x'|A|x\rangle \; \; (3)[/tex]
This is analogous to the finite-dimensional case in the sense that the coordinate representation of [itex]A[/itex] is given by [itex]\langle x'|A|x\rangle[/itex].

Now if [itex]A = \hat{X}[/itex] then [itex]\langle x'|\hat{X}|x\rangle = \langle x'|x|x\rangle = x \langle x'|x\rangle = x \delta(x' - x)[/itex], and with this, (3) simplifies into (2) (by the sifting property of the Dirac delta function).

I don't know how to formally proceed if [itex]A = \hat{P}[/itex] because it seems a little bit more tricky. Can anybody help there? Also, why do most textbooks avoid this integration business and simply state that [itex]\hat{X} = x[/itex] and [itex]\hat{P} = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex]?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Unit said:
I would just like some clarification and some assertion that I've got the right idea. Please correct everything I say!

For any observable [itex]A[/itex] over a finite-dimensional vector space with orthonormal basis kets [itex]\{|a_i\rangle\}_{i=1}^n[/itex] we can write
[tex]A = IAI = \left(\sum_{i=1}^n |a_i\rangle\langle a_i|\right) A \left(\sum_{j=1}^n |a_j\rangle\langle a_j|\right) = \sum_{i=1}^n |a_i\rangle\langle a_i| \sum_{j=1}^n A|a_j\rangle\langle a_j| = \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n |a_i\rangle\langle a_i|A|a_j\rangle\langle a_j| = \sum_{i,j} |a_i\rangle\langle a_j| \: \langle a_i|A|a_j\rangle \; \; (1)[/tex]
and we say that [itex]\langle a_i|A|a_j\rangle[/itex] is the coordinate representation of A.
I would just call those numbers the components (or matrix elements) of A in the basis [itex]\{|a_i\rangle\}_{i=1}^n[/itex]. See post #3 here (the part before the quote) if you need to refresh your memory about the relationship between linear operators and matrices.

Unit said:
My professor commonly talks about the coordinate representation of the momentum and position operators. I know these live in an infinite-dimensional vector space. Is this a Hilbert space? A rigged Hilbert space?
The position and momentum operators are linear maps. Their codomains are Hilbert spaces (the same one actually). Their domains are dense subsets of that Hilbert space. They don't have any eigenvectors, so to make sense of what you wrote as [itex]\hat X|x\rangle=x|x\rangle[/itex], you would have to replace the Hibert space with a rigged Hilbert space.

Unit said:
We know that [itex]\hat{X}[/itex] acts on vectors [itex]|x\rangle[/itex] such that [itex]\hat{X}|x\rangle = x|x\rangle[/itex]. Why can we write the following? What does it mean?
This will be a disappointing answer, but I don't think there's a complete answer that can be understood by a typical physics student that covers less than 200 pages. I still don't get it myself. It's been one of my long term goals for a long time. I think the short article http://www.math.neu.edu/~king_chris/GenEf.pdf by Mustafa Kesir proves it, but it relies on the spectral theorem for not necessarily bounded normal operators on a Hilbert space, which is extremely hard. You need to be good at topology, measure theory and functional analysis before you can even begin to study its proof.

I need to go and do something else for a while, so I don't have time to think about the rest of it right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unit said:
[...]

I don't know how to formally proceed if [itex]A = \hat{P}[/itex] because it seems a little bit more tricky. Can anybody help there? Also, why do most textbooks avoid this integration business and simply state that [itex]\hat{X} = x[/itex] and [itex]\hat{P} = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex]?[...]

That's just that: formally proceed, since most books do so. Indeed, to make full sense of is formally written in most books starting with Dirac's text of 1930, you need to understand, jokingly, be fluent in speaking functional analysis, or better, be one of the PhD students of Arno Böhm.

So <most textbooks> use formal manipulations of vectors and distributions, simply because it's usually beyond the reader's interest to know the maths behind it. It's an identical situation with Feynman's path integrals. 99.9% of textbook readers don't CARE why they work and 99% of textbook authors don't KNOW why they work, if they ever work at all...

Unit said:
My professor commonly talks about the coordinate representation of the
momentum and position operators. I know these live in an infinite-dimensional
vector space. Is this a Hilbert space? A rigged Hilbert space?
Rigged Hilbert space. (Although people sometimes try to work with an ordinary
Hilbert space on which these operators are only densely defined.)

We know that [itex]\hat{X}[/itex] acts on vectors [itex]|x\rangle[/itex] such
that [itex]\hat{X}|x\rangle = x|x\rangle[/itex]. Why can we write the
following? What does it mean?
Its meaning is very similar to your eqn (1). Since your [itex]a_i[/itex] are (I presume) eigenvalues associated with A, what happens if you evaluate your eq(1) one step further?
I think this happens:
[tex]
\def\<{\langle}
\def\>{\rangle}
A ~=~ \dots ~=~ \sum_{i,j} |a_i\> \< a_j| ~ \<a_j| A |a_i\>
~=~ \sum_{i,j} |a_i\> \< a_j| ~ a_i \delta_{ij}
~=~ \sum_i |a_i\> \< a_i| ~ a_i
[/tex]
Get it?

I don't know how to formally proceed if [itex]A = \hat{P}[/itex] because it
seems a little bit more tricky. Can anybody help there? Also, why do most
textbooks avoid this integration business and simply state that [itex]\hat{X}
= x[/itex] and [itex]\hat{P} = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex]?

They don't really "avoid this integration business". Those operators are used because they satisfy the canonical commutation relations between position and momentum when represented as operators on a space of functions. (Strictly speaking, it's a space of generalized functions.)

Try this introductory paper if you haven't already seen it:

Rafael de la Madrid,
"The role of the rigged Hilbert space in Quantum",
Available as: arXiv:quant-ph/0502053

Related to Position and Momentum Operators

1. What is the position operator in quantum mechanics?

The position operator, denoted as x, is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the position of a particle in space. It operates on the wave function of the particle and gives the probability of finding the particle at a particular position.

2. How is the position operator related to the position of a particle?

The position operator is related to the position of a particle through the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. This principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we know its momentum, and vice versa. The position operator and the momentum operator do not commute, meaning their order of operations affects the result, and this is the basis for the uncertainty principle.

3. What is the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator, denoted as p, is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the momentum of a particle. It operates on the wave function of the particle and gives the probability of finding the particle with a particular momentum.

4. How do the position and momentum operators affect the wave function of a particle?

The position and momentum operators act on the wave function of a particle to give information about the position and momentum of the particle. The position operator multiplies the wave function by the position of the particle, while the momentum operator multiplies the wave function by the momentum of the particle. These operators are essential in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. Can the position and momentum operators be used to simultaneously determine the position and momentum of a particle?

No, the position and momentum operators cannot be used to simultaneously determine the position and momentum of a particle. This is due to the uncertainty principle, which states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, such as position and momentum, can be known simultaneously. Thus, the more precisely one property is known, the less precisely the other can be known.