Stumping the Teacher: "Will it Float?"

In summary, the conversation is about a game called "Will it float?" in a physics class where the students try to guess if random objects will float or sink in water. The teacher has been stumping the students and now they are trying to find ways to stump her. Some suggestions include using oils with different densities or objects with hidden properties, such as a Cartesian Devil or containers with drilled holes.
Nanabit
This might sound like a stupid question, but in my physics class we have a game called "Will it float?" It's just like on the tonight show. We pick out random things to put in the water and guess if they'll float or not. My teacher decided to let us try to stump her after several weeks of her trying to stump us. If we get her, we get 5 bonus points! I've been trying to think of things that are guaranteed to stump her and have tried something, but to no avail. She's too good for us! Does anyone have any ideas on things that would almost definitely seem to float but then sink or vice versa??

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some oils that are denser than water. Most oils are lighter, and will float. I don't recall which are the dense ones, maybe you can do the searching. Also, present her with a selection of more dense and less dense ones. If you come in with just one oil, she'll know what's up.

Njorl

What is your teacher allowed to do? Just look at the object or lift it to estimate its density? If lift it, it's going to be hard to fool her- an oil might work: most people would guess "float" but you might be able to find one that will sink.

If your teacher is only allowed to look at it, you might try finding a large piece of pumice: volanic rock that has enough air bubbles to float. Most people would look at a rock and immediately decide it will sink.

Unfortunately, she is allowed to pick it up and touch it!

There's a toy called a 'Cartesian Devil'. It's a little (1/2 inch high or so) hollow devil figure which has a hole so small that the water can't get in. If you put it in water, it floats. But if you put it in a plastic bottle filled with water, fasten the top, and squeeze the bottle, then the Devil sinks.

If you're not allowed to use a water bottle, you could use some plastic containers (e.g. film cans), and drill small holes into them. If the hole is big enough, then the water can get in and the can will sink. I think it's impossible to judge by eye whether the hole is big enough.

Well, I still think the idea with the oil is better.

1. Will all objects float in water?

No, not all objects will float in water. Whether an object floats or sinks depends on its density. Objects with a higher density than water will sink, while objects with a lower density than water will float.

2. What causes an object to float?

Objects float in water because of a principle called buoyancy. The weight of the water that an object displaces is equal to the weight of the object. If the weight of the object is less than the weight of the water it displaces, it will float.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its ability to float?

The shape of an object can affect its ability to float. Objects with a larger surface area will float better because they displace more water. Similarly, objects with a concave shape can hold more air, making them more buoyant and able to float.

4. Will an object float in any liquid?

No, an object's ability to float depends on the density of the liquid it is placed in. Objects with a lower density than the liquid will float, while objects with a higher density will sink. For example, wood will float in water but will sink in oil because oil has a higher density than water.

5. Can you make an object that normally sinks float?

Yes, it is possible to make an object that normally sinks float. This can be achieved by changing the object's density, such as by adding air pockets or making it hollow. This will decrease the object's overall weight and increase its buoyancy, allowing it to float in water.