Pondering basis vectors and one forms

In summary, the author is discussing the issue of whether or not vectors and one forms can be considered dual to each other. The author thinks that, unless they are using a Cartesian metric, they cannot get the first property from the second quantity.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, I've been thinking about this for a while...and I can't seem to resolve it in my head. In this thread I will use a tilde when referring to one forms and a vector sign when referring to vectors and boldface for tensors. It seems to me that if we require the basis vectors and one forms to obey the property that:

[tex]\tilde{\omega}^j(\vec{e}_i)=\delta_i^j[/tex]

Then, we cannot require the basis vectors and one forms to be "dual" to each other in the sense that we raise and lower their indices with the metric tensor. I.e.:

[tex]\tilde{\omega}^i=\bf{g}(\vec{e}_i,\quad)[/tex]

Since, unless my metric is the Cartesian metric, I cannot get the first property from the second quantity.

Is this true, or have I messed up somewhere?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The "duality" between vector and one forms that you cite does not require a metric. When the vector basis is changed, the dual forms are also changed.

The "duality" between vectors and one forms that can be defined with a metric is different, as the duals do not change if you change basis.

So you are right. The former has nothing to do with raising and lowering indices with a metric (it's defined even without a metric), the latter involves raising and lowering indices with a metric.

Last edited:
The natural set of one form basis vectors then, is defined by the first property and not the second one then right?

Yes.

I have another question. If we choose to use the tetrad method to describe our manifold, then the metric is automatically diag(1,1,1,...)? Since we are choosing ortho-normal basis vectors, then it would make sense that that would have to be the case.

I could never figure out Wald's take on the tetrad method...His abstract index notation there makes me really confused what his equations mean...>.>

Just reading wikipedia, the metric is the Minkowski metric times the "square" of the vierbein field. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_fields_in_general_relativity

I remember Andrew Hamilton had a good set of notes about this (including using non-orthonormal tetrads). http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/phys5770_08/grtetrad.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Pondering basis vectors and one forms

1. What are basis vectors and one forms?

Basis vectors are a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. They are used to represent any vector in the space by a unique linear combination of these basis vectors. One forms, also known as covectors, are linear functionals that map vectors to real numbers. They are used to describe the direction and magnitude of a vector in a particular direction.

2. How are basis vectors and one forms related?

Basis vectors and one forms are dual concepts, meaning that they are closely related and work together to describe vectors in a vector space. Basis vectors help to define a vector, while one forms describe the vector in a particular direction. They are connected through the use of inner products, where the one form acts on the basis vector to produce a scalar value.

3. How do you calculate the components of a vector using basis vectors and one forms?

To calculate the components of a vector using basis vectors and one forms, you can use the equation: v = viei, where v is the vector, vi is the components of the vector, and ei are the basis vectors. The components can also be calculated using the inner product of the vector with the one forms, where the result is the projection of the vector onto the basis vectors.

4. What are some applications of basis vectors and one forms?

Basis vectors and one forms are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are particularly useful in vector and tensor analysis, as well as in understanding the geometry of a vector space. They are also essential in the study of differential geometry and relativity.

5. Can you give an example of how basis vectors and one forms are used in real life?

One example of how basis vectors and one forms are used in real life is in computer graphics. When creating 3D models, basis vectors are used to define the position, orientation, and scale of the model, while one forms are used to describe the lighting and shading of the model. This allows for the creation of realistic and complex 3D graphics in movies, video games, and virtual reality applications.