[PoM] Average rotational energy

In summary, the average energy of rotation per molecule of a rarefied gas of HF at 50 K can be determined by using the wave number of rotational absorption for the transition L=2→3, which is 121.5 cm-1. The calculation should be limited to a certain number of levels and the final result should be within 5% of the numerical value. Using the classical limit, the average rotational energy per molecule is equal to half the moment of inertia multiplied by the square of the angular velocity. By solving for the moment of inertia and substituting it into the equation for angular velocity, we can calculate the average rotational energy to be 6.903*10^-22 J. The number of levels taken into
BRN

Homework Statement

Determines the average energy of rotation (per molecule) of a rarefied gas of HF at T = 50 K, knowing that the wave number of rotational absorption for the transition L = 2 → 3 worth 121.5 cm-1. [Hint: it performs the calculation by limiting the number of levels taken into account, making sure to get the numerical result by 5%.]

Solution:##E_{rot}=5.493*10^{-22} [J]##

The Attempt at a Solution

In the classical limit, the average rotational energy per molecule is:

##\frac{E_{rot}}{N}=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##

For transition L = 2 → 3, I have:

##\nu=\frac{E_{rot}}{h}=\frac{\hbar^2l(l+1)}{2hI} \Rightarrow I=\frac{\hbar^2l(l+1)}{\nu 2h}##

then,

##\omega^2=(2\pi \nu)^2=\frac{2k_BT}{I}=3.3318*10^{17} [rad/s]##

so:

##E_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2=k_BT=6.903*10^{-22} [J]###

But, in what way I have to limit the number of levels taken into account?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody?:sorry:

Related to [PoM] Average rotational energy

1. What is average rotational energy?

Average rotational energy refers to the average amount of energy possessed by an object as it rotates around an axis. It is a measure of the object's rotational motion.

2. How is average rotational energy calculated?

The formula for calculating average rotational energy is E = 1/2 * I * ω², where E is the average rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia of the object, and ω is the angular velocity of the object.

3. What is the relationship between average rotational energy and moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of an object determines its resistance to rotational motion. The greater the moment of inertia, the more energy is required to rotate the object at a given speed, resulting in a higher average rotational energy.

4. How does average rotational energy affect an object's stability?

Objects with higher average rotational energy tend to be less stable, as they have more energy to overcome when rotating. This is why it is important to consider the distribution of mass and moment of inertia when designing stable objects.

5. Can average rotational energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, average rotational energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, through friction or collisions with other objects. This is known as the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.