Newbie Asks: Too Many Sub-Forums?

• Thread starter deltabourne
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the overwhelming number of forums on the platform and suggested combining some to increase activity. The moderator assured the user that changes are being made to improve user experience and encouraged them to stick around.
deltabourne
I know I'm the newbie here, so forgive me When I first came here I was overwhelmed by the number of forums.. there were tons, I didn't know where to start. Having so many spreads things out thin as well. Most subsections don't get posts for days at a time. Wouldn't it be better to combine a few things to increase the pace a bit?

And don't worry mods/admins, I'm not always such a pain in the ass :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Deltabourne, welcome to the forums and feedback is always welcome

We switched to this format not too long ago (previously did not have all the subforums). A lot of people shared your concern, but there seems to be a growing acceptance of the subforums. Stick around and try it for a while. Physics Forums has reinvented itself more than once, so who knows what the future holds. Lately, we've been adding/deleting subforums based on their use/need in order to make it more user-friendly.

1. What are sub-forums and why are there so many of them?

Sub-forums are smaller sections within a larger forum that focus on specific topics or themes. They allow for more organized discussions and make it easier for users to find the information they are looking for. There are many sub-forums because it helps to keep discussions on track and prevents the main forum from becoming overcrowded with unrelated topics.

2. Is it necessary for there to be so many sub-forums?

The number of sub-forums is typically determined by the forum moderators and administrators. It is based on the needs and interests of the forum community. While some may argue that there are too many sub-forums, others may find that the variety allows for more diverse discussions and a better user experience.

3. How do I know which sub-forum to post in?

Most sub-forums have a specific topic or theme listed in the title or description. It is important to read these carefully before posting to ensure that your topic is relevant to the sub-forum. If you are unsure, you can also use the search function to see if there are already similar discussions happening in a particular sub-forum.

4. Can I suggest a new sub-forum?

Some forums allow users to suggest new sub-forums, while others may have a specific process for creating new sub-forums. If you have a suggestion, it is best to reach out to the forum moderators or administrators and provide a detailed proposal for the new sub-forum.

5. Are there any benefits to having so many sub-forums?

Having a large number of sub-forums allows for more specific and focused discussions. It also allows for a diverse range of topics to be covered, which can attract a wider range of users. Additionally, with the use of sub-forums, it is easier for users to navigate and find the information they are looking for without getting overwhelmed by unrelated topics.