Polynomial system of 6 variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of solving a system of equations with 12 variables (A, B, C, a, b, c, U, V, W, u, v, w) in terms of known variables (U, V, W, u, v, w). It is suggested that with the given information, it may be possible to solve the system by first obtaining expressions for A, B, C in terms of u, v, w, a, b, c using the last three equations and then substituting them into the first three equations. However, upon further consideration, it is concluded that the system cannot be solved uniquely.
Bruno Tolentino
U = A a²
V = 2 A a b
W = A b²
u = 2 A a c + B a
v = 2 A b c + B b
w = A c² + B c + C

I'd like to solve this system for A, B, C, a, b, c. Is it possible!?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you want those terms, in terms of all the other terms, then i don't think you can, if in terms of U,V,W,u,v,w included then ofcourse, it would be simple,
the basic problem is you have only one equation with U in it, or were you trying to say ##U##instead of ##u##?

Unless I'm mistaken, there are 12 variables and not 6 which means the system cannot be solved.

DDH said:
Unless I'm mistaken, there are 12 variables and not 6 which means the system cannot be solved.
The system cannot be solved uniquely, which is different from saying that it can't be solved.

I stand corrected.

Bruno Tolentino said:
U = A a²
V = 2 A a b
W = A b²
u = 2 A a c + B a
v = 2 A b c + B b
w = A c² + B c + C

I'd like to solve this system for A, B, C, a, b, c. Is it possible!?
Assuming U,V,W,u,v,w are known, it might be possible. As a first step, the last three equations in A,B,C are linear, so you can get A,B,C, in terms of u,v,w,a,b,c. Substitute the expression for A into the first three equations. You now have polynomial expressions for a,b,c - good luck!

Related to Polynomial system of 6 variables

What is a polynomial system of 6 variables?

A polynomial system of 6 variables is a set of equations with 6 unknown variables, where each equation is a polynomial expression. These equations are used to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

How do you solve a polynomial system of 6 variables?

To solve a polynomial system of 6 variables, you can use methods such as substitution, elimination, or Gaussian elimination. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate variables and ultimately solve for the remaining variables.

What is the degree of a polynomial system of 6 variables?

The degree of a polynomial system of 6 variables is the highest degree of any polynomial in the system. It is determined by the highest exponent in any term of the polynomial equations. The degree can range from 0 to infinity.

What is the importance of polynomial systems of 6 variables in mathematics?

Polynomial systems of 6 variables are important in mathematics because they are used to model real-world problems and phenomena. They are also used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to analyze and solve complex systems.

Can a polynomial system of 6 variables have more than one solution?

Yes, a polynomial system of 6 variables can have more than one solution. In fact, there can be an infinite number of solutions depending on the complexity of the equations and the constraints placed on the variables. It is important to check for all possible solutions when solving a polynomial system.