Vacant lot circles - no kidding

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, the conversation discusses mysterious circles found in a vacant lot and a backyard. The circles appear to be made by plants that have been gently laid over in a circular pattern, with no obvious breaks or bends in the stems. The origin of these circles is unknown, with some speculating it could be a hoax or possibly caused by a strong leaf blower. However, others joke about a possible conspiracy involving the government, aliens, and pets.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm thinking Hall of Fame?

The 13 foot diameter circle showed up on or about Aug 12, 2003. The leaves and stems of the grasses in the circle are gently laid over starting from the center of the circle, and pointing out towards the outer edges of the circle as spokes on a wheel. There are no obvious breaks or bends in the stems. All seem to have laid down as if they were wilted, although the plants do seem to be alive and healthy. The leaves and stems have not yet made any discernable movement towards straightening back out.

http://www.paratexas.com/Vacantlotcircles.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
My trash can left a similar, if smaller, circle in my back yard.

In any case, at least its a less destructive hoax than crop circles.

Originally posted by russ_watters
My trash can left a similar, if smaller, circle in my back yard.

Is this a confession?

I actually can't figure out an
obvious way to make one like this
with the stems radiating from the
center. Possibly a really strong
leaf blower?

Hey!

I've got something like that in my back yard! it's several feet wide, but I think my dog was just circling. Maybe there's a conspiracy between the gov, my dog, and the aliens...

1. What are vacant lot circles?

Vacant lot circles are circular areas of land that are currently not being used or developed for any specific purpose. They can be found in urban, suburban, or rural areas and can vary in size and shape.

2. Why are there vacant lot circles?

There can be several reasons for vacant lot circles. Some may be the result of abandoned or neglected properties, while others may be intentionally left undeveloped for future use or as green spaces. Economic factors, zoning restrictions, and lack of investment can also contribute to vacant lot circles.

3. Are vacant lot circles a problem?

The answer to this question can vary depending on the context. In some cases, vacant lot circles can be seen as a blight on a neighborhood and can attract illegal dumping and other criminal activities. However, vacant lot circles can also provide benefits such as stormwater management, wildlife habitats, and community gardens.

4. How can vacant lot circles be utilized?

There are many ways that vacant lot circles can be utilized. Some cities have implemented programs to turn vacant lots into community gardens, parks, or public art spaces. Other potential uses include developing affordable housing, commercial spaces, or urban farms. The best use of a vacant lot circle will depend on the needs and priorities of the community.

5. What are the potential environmental impacts of vacant lot circles?

The impact of vacant lot circles on the environment can vary depending on their location and use. In some cases, they can contribute to urban heat islands and stormwater runoff. However, vacant lot circles that are turned into green spaces can help mitigate these issues and provide benefits such as carbon sequestration and air quality improvement.

Back