Polynomial Functions (word problem)

In summary, to find the equation of a quartic function with x-intercepts of -5, -1, 2, and 4 and a point (3,-8) on the curve, first solve for k by plugging in the point into the factored form of the function. Then, multiply out the factors and distribute the k value to get the expanded form of the function.
anonymous12

Homework Statement

A quartic function has x-intercepts of -5, -1, 2, and 4. The point (3.-8) lies on the curve. Determine an equation of the function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y = k (x+5)(x+1)(x-2)(x-4)
Expanded form: f(x)=kx^4 + 9x^2 - 38x + 40 <---My expanded form is most likely wrong because expanding a quartic function tends to get clustered and confusing.

Other than this I have absolutely no idea how to solve this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
anonymous12 said:

This looks fine.

anonymous12 said:
Expanded form: f(x)=kx^4 + 9x^2 - 38x + 40 <---My expanded form is most likely wrong because expanding a quartic function tends to get clustered and confusing.

Unfortunately, your expansion is wrong. First show your steps, so we can see where the mistake is in your work.

anonymous12 said:
Expanded form...
I wouldn't even expand yet. I would find k first by plugging 3 and -8 for x and y into the factored form. Then I would multiply out the factors, and distribute the k value last.

Valid point. It's much easier to solve for k in this form.

Related to Polynomial Functions (word problem)

1. What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical expression consisting of variables and coefficients, with only the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It is written in the form of ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d, where n is a positive integer and a, b, c, and d are constants.

2. How do you solve a word problem involving polynomial functions?

To solve a word problem involving polynomial functions, you first need to identify the variables and their relationships. Then, create a polynomial equation representing the given information. Finally, use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown variable.

3. Can you give an example of a word problem involving polynomial functions?

Sure, here is an example: A farmer has a rectangular field with a length 4 meters longer than its width. If the perimeter of the field is 40 meters, what are the dimensions of the field? To solve this, we can create the polynomial equation 2x + 2(x+4) = 40, where x represents the width. Solving for x, we get x = 8, so the field has dimensions of 8 meters by 12 meters.

4. How can polynomial functions be applied in real life?

Polynomial functions are commonly used to model real-life situations, such as population growth, financial investments, and physics problems. They can also be used to analyze and predict data in various fields, including economics, biology, and engineering.

5. What are the different types of polynomial functions?

The three main types of polynomial functions are linear (degree 1), quadratic (degree 2), and cubic (degree 3). Other types include quartic (degree 4), quintic (degree 5), and higher degree polynomials. They can also be classified as monomials, binomials, and trinomials based on the number of terms in the expression.