Polynomial Division: Sum of Remainders for 53 < k < 115

In summary: If k=0, f(x^0)=0*f(x)+8. Quotient 0. Remainder 8. If k=1, f(x^1)=1*f(x)+0. Quotient 1. Remainder 0.If k=0, f(x^0)=0*f(x)+8. Quotient 0. Remainder 8. If k=1, f(x^1)=1*f(x)+0. Quotient 1. Remainder 0.
xcrunner448

Homework Statement

This question was on a test in a math contest I was recently in, and I cannot seem to figure out how to get the answer:

Let f(x)=x7+x6+x5+x4+x3+x2+x+1. If k is a positive integer such that 53 < k < 115, find the sum of all distinct k such that the numerical remainder when the polynomial f(xk) is divided by the polynomial f(x) must be 8.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where to begin on this one. Obviously, attempting polynomial long division would not work here, so there has to be some other way of determining the remainder, and I am at a loss as to what that would be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like you could figure this out using something called the Remainder Theorem.

Doesn't that say that when you divide a polynomial f(x) by (x-a) the remainder is f(a)? I don't see how that helps here.

I don't right off know if it's relevant, but maybe you can somehow use the fact that

[tex]f(x) = \frac{x^8-1}{x-1}[/tex]

Maybe I've forgotten a little something about polynomial division, but would someone please clarify this trouble I'm having with this problem?

It says when f(xk) is divided by f(x) leaving a numerical remainder of 8. How could we possibly get a numerical remainder of 8?

For example, if we have f(x)=x2-1 and g(x)=x-1 then f(x)/g(x)=x+1 and our numerical remainder is... 1?

Mentallic said:
Maybe I've forgotten a little something about polynomial division, but would someone please clarify this trouble I'm having with this problem?

It says when f(xk) is divided by f(x) leaving a numerical remainder of 8. How could we possibly get a numerical remainder of 8?

For example, if we have f(x)=x2-1 and g(x)=x-1 then f(x)/g(x)=x+1 and our numerical remainder is... 1?

Good question. I was wondering the same thing and figured I just didn't know...

LCKurtz said:
Good question. I was wondering the same thing and figured I just didn't know...

This question has reached a whole new level of hard :biggrin:

Mentallic said:
This question has reached a whole new level of hard :biggrin:

How you get a remainder of 8 isn't the hard part. k=0 gives a remainder of 8. k=1 gives a remainder of 0. Both of those are obvious. It starts getting harder at k=2. The remainder is a sixth degree polynomial in x (hence not 8). I suggest looking at small values of k and trying to figure out what the pattern might be. I know what the pattern is, but I haven't figured out an easy way to explain it yet.

Dick said:
How you get a remainder of 8 isn't the hard part. k=0 gives a remainder of 8. k=1 gives a remainder of 0. Both of those are obvious. It starts getting harder at k=2. The remainder is a sixth degree polynomial in x (hence not 8). I suggest looking at small values of k and trying to figure out what the pattern might be. I know what the pattern is, but I haven't figured out an easy way to explain it yet.

k=1 gives a remainder of 0 how? for k=1, f(xk)=f(x)=x7+x6+...x+1

Maybe this a push in the right direction? I see 8's involved so I'm feeling hopeful - knowing full well the 8's have little to do with a remainder of 8, regardless...

[tex]f(x)=\frac{x^8-1}{x-1}[/tex]

[tex]f(x^k)=\frac{x^{8k}-1}{x^k-1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{f(x^k)}{f(x)}=\frac{(x^{8k}-1)(x-1)}{(x^k-1)(x^8-1)}[/tex]

Now expanding back out, but rather with the opposite factors, that is, the [tex]\frac{x^{8k}-1}{x^8-1}[/tex] will give

[tex]\frac{f(x^k)}{f(x)}=\frac{x^{8(k-1)}+x^{8(k-2)}+...+x^8+1}{x^{k-1}+x^{k-2}+...+x+1}[/tex]

But then again I'm just playing with numbers and have little to no clue where I'm going with any of this. I need a clearer understanding of what the remainder of 8 is.

EDIT: oh I totally forgot about dividing f(xk) with f(x) when thinking about the k=1 remainder. So the remainder when k=1 would be [STRIKE]1[/STRIKE] 0.

Last edited:
Mentallic said:
k=1 gives a remainder of 0 how? for k=1, f(xk)=f(x)=x7+x6+...x+1EDIT: oh I totally forgot about dividing f(xk) with f(x) when thinking about the k=1 remainder. So the remainder when k=1 would be 1.

If k=0, f(x^0)=0*f(x)+8. Quotient 0. Remainder 8. If k=1, f(x^1)=1*f(x)+0. Quotient 1. Remainder 0.

Dick said:
If k=0, f(x^0)=0*f(x)+8. Quotient 0. Remainder 8. If k=1, f(x^1)=1*f(x)+0. Quotient 1. Remainder 0.

Oh right, I've been speaking of the quotient this whole time...

Here's a hint. Try and show f(x^k)-f(x^(k+8)) is divisible by f(x). That simplifies the problem a bit.

So nobody is interested in being a math contest champ anymore? In the end, it turns out you can do it pretty easily.

Dick said:
So nobody is interested in being a math contest champ anymore? In the end, it turns out you can do it pretty easily.

Would you care to do the honours?

Mentallic said:
Would you care to do the honours?

It's more fun if you figure out some of it on your own. I already give you one clue in post 12. Here are some more. You can also show f(x^k)-f(x^(8-k)) is divisible by f(x). That really cuts down the list of possible remainders. Finally to actually test whether a remainder is 8 write the factored form f(x^k)=q(x)*f(x)+r(x). If a is root of f(x) and you put x equal to a you had better get f(a^k)=8 if the remainder is 8. Factor f(x) to find roots. If you put all of that together you should be able to do it without spending the couple of hours on it that I did.

Dick said:
It's more fun if you figure out some of it on your own.
Oh don't get me wrong, I've spent a considerable number of hours on this problem in total, and it didn't seem like I was getting anywhere fast with your hint from #12 so I admitted defeat.

Dick said:
I already give you one clue in post 12. Here are some more. You can also show f(x^k)-f(x^(8-k)) is divisible by f(x). That really cuts down the list of possible remainders. Finally to actually test whether a remainder is 8 write the factored form f(x^k)=q(x)*f(x)+r(x). If a is root of f(x) and you put x equal to a you had better get f(a^k)=8 if the remainder is 8. Factor f(x) to find roots. If you put all of that together you should be able to do it without spending the couple of hours on it that I did.

I'll give it another shot and see how it goes.

You've figured out if f(x^k)-f(x^(k+8)) is divisible by f(x) then f(x^k) and f(x^(k+8)) have the same remainder when divided by f(x), right? That means you only need to figure out whether the remainder is 8 for k=0,1,...7.

Related to Polynomial Division: Sum of Remainders for 53 < k < 115

1. What is polynomial division?

Polynomial division is a mathematical process used to divide one polynomial (an expression containing multiple terms) by another polynomial. The result is a quotient and a remainder, which may be expressed algebraically or numerically.

2. How do you perform polynomial division?

To perform polynomial division, you must first arrange the polynomials in descending order by degree. Then, you divide the first term of the dividend (the polynomial being divided) by the first term of the divisor (the polynomial you are dividing by). This gives you the first term of the quotient. Then, you multiply the divisor by this term and subtract it from the original dividend. Repeat this process until you have no more terms to divide, and the final result will be the quotient and remainder.

3. What is the sum of remainders for 53 < k < 115?

The sum of remainders for 53 < k < 115 is the total of all the remainders obtained from dividing all the numbers between 53 and 115 by a given polynomial. This sum can be calculated by performing polynomial division for each number and adding up all the remainders.

4. What is the significance of 53 < k < 115 in polynomial division?

53 < k < 115 is the range of numbers for which we are calculating the sum of remainders. This range is typically chosen based on the specific problem or application at hand.

5. What are some real-world applications of polynomial division?

Polynomial division has many practical applications, such as in engineering and physics for solving equations and modeling systems. It is also used in economics and finance for analyzing data and making predictions. Additionally, polynomial division is used in computer science for error correction and data compression techniques.