Solve Time Rate of Change of Mechanical Energy for Damped, Undriven Oscillator

In summary, the question is asking to show that the time rate of change of mechanical energy for a damped, undriven oscillator is always negative and is given by dE/dt=-bv^2. The approach is to differentiate the expression for mechanical energy, E=1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2, and use the equation -kx-b(dx/dt)=m(d^2x/dt^2). The speaker struggles with differentiation but suggests using change in x over change in time for v in the energy equation. They appreciate any help and later realize their mistake.
Soilwork
Hey can someone guide me in the right direction here.

Q. Show that the time rate of change of mechanical energy for a damped , ubdriven oscillator is given by dE/dt=-bv^2 and hence is always negative.
Proceed as follows: Differentiate the expression for the mechanical energy of an oscillator, E=1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2. And use this equation:
-kx-b(dx/dt)=m(d^2x/dt^2)
I know it tells you how to approach the question and all, but I guess the main problem is that my differentiation isn't that great.
Anyway for the Energy equation I was thinking that you could change the v to change in x over change in time. delta(x)/delta(t)
not sure though.
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind :)
It was easy, it's just that I made a small error at the beginning that through me off a bit.

To solve for the time rate of change of mechanical energy for a damped, undriven oscillator, we can use the expression for mechanical energy, E=1/2mv^2+1/2kx^2, and differentiate it with respect to time. This will give us:

dE/dt = d/dt(1/2mv^2) + d/dt(1/2kx^2)

Using the chain rule, we can rewrite this as:

dE/dt = (1/2m)(d/dt(v^2)) + (1/2k)(d/dt(x^2))

Now, we can use the equation given in the problem, -kx-b(dx/dt)=m(d^2x/dt^2), to replace the second term in the above equation. This will give us:

dE/dt = (1/2m)(d/dt(v^2)) + (1/2k)(-kx-b(dx/dt))

Simplifying this, we get:

dE/dt = (1/2m)(2v)(dv/dt) + (-kx-b(dx/dt))

Using the fact that dv/dt = a (acceleration), and dx/dt = v (velocity), we can rewrite this as:

dE/dt = mv(a) + (-kx-bv)

Simplifying further, we get:

dE/dt = mav + (-kx-bv)

Now, we can use the equation for acceleration, a = (-kx-bv)/m, to replace the first term in the above equation. This will give us:

dE/dt = m((-kx-bv)/m)(v) + (-kx-bv)

Simplifying, we get:

dE/dt = (-kx-bv)(v) + (-kx-bv)

Expanding this, we get:

dE/dt = -kv^2-bvv - kxv-bv

Simplifying further, we finally get:

dE/dt = -bv^2

This shows that the time rate of change of mechanical energy for a damped, undriven oscillator is given by -bv^2, which is always negative. This makes sense, as a damped oscillator will lose energy over time due to friction and other dissipative forces, resulting in a decrease in

1. What is a damped, undriven oscillator?

A damped, undriven oscillator is a physical system that undergoes periodic motion without any external driving force, but with a damping force that causes its energy to decrease over time.

2. How is mechanical energy defined?

Mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy in a physical system. It represents the ability of the system to do work or cause motion.

3. How do you calculate the time rate of change of mechanical energy for a damped, undriven oscillator?

The time rate of change of mechanical energy, also known as the power, for a damped, undriven oscillator can be calculated using the equation P = -bv2, where b is the damping coefficient and v is the velocity of the oscillator.

4. What factors affect the time rate of change of mechanical energy for a damped, undriven oscillator?

The time rate of change of mechanical energy for a damped, undriven oscillator is affected by the damping coefficient, which determines the strength of the damping force, and the velocity of the oscillator, which determines the amount of kinetic energy present in the system.

5. How does the time rate of change of mechanical energy change over time for a damped, undriven oscillator?

The time rate of change of mechanical energy for a damped, undriven oscillator decreases over time as the damping force reduces the amount of energy in the system. Eventually, the oscillator will come to a stop as all of its energy is dissipated by the damping force.