Calculating Sun's G-Force: Anomaly Effects Explained

• Thread starter Astronomer107
  • Start date
  • Tags
    G-force
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the g force (anomaly) of the sun using Newton's equation, as well as the effects of the anomaly of a black hole on the distortion of time and gravitational wave propagation. The conversation also mentions the importance of using the correct radius and distance in calculations and suggests learning basic physics concepts and equations before delving into more complex topics such as black holes and General Relativity.
Astronomer107
What is the g force (anomaly) of the sun? I tried to calculate this one using Newton's equation. I did this:

[(6.67 * 10^-11)(2 * 10^30)]/(0.7 * 10^6)

Where F = GM/r^2 ( I think), but I got 272244898, which seems really wrong. I can't find it anywhere online and I'm trying to figure out the effect of the anomaly of a black hole on the oscillation of the fabric of spacetime due to gravitational wave propagation. I think the first step is finding the force of the sun, then multiplying that by the number of solar masses that a black hole has to find its effects on the distortion of time, etc. PLEASE let me know if you know the g force or if I am approaching this in a completely wrong manner. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First off
F = GMm/r²

GM/r² gives you the acceleration due to gravity. On the surface of the Earth this comes out to about 9.8m/sec² and is called one g.

G-force is usually considered a factor of this. (On the surface of a planet where the acceleration of gravity is 19.6m/sec² we say some one experiences 2 gs.

Second, where did you get the value of .7 x 106 for the radius squared ? ( making the radius 836.66 meters)

Originally posted by Janus
First off
F = GMm/r²

GM/r² gives you the acceleration due to gravity. On the surface of the Earth this comes out to about 9.8m/sec² and is called one g.

G-force is usually considered a factor of this. (On the surface of a planet where the acceleration of gravity is 19.6m/sec² we say some one experiences 2 gs.

Second, where did you get the value of .7 x 106 for the radius squared ? ( making the radius 836.66 meters)

I got that value from some website (I knew I should have looked for a better radius). How can I figure out the g of a 10 solar mass black hole? If the sun is a certain "g" then can I multiply it by 10 to get the g of a 10 solar mass black hole?

For r u have to use the DISTANCE from the center of the sun...so u would add the radius of the sun to the distance from the sun surface to the Earth's center..

Im not sure if Newtonian equations work for black holes or not..

Originally posted by Astronomer107
I got that value from some website (I knew I should have looked for a better radius).
Okay, I think I found your problem, the Sun's radius is 6.95 x 105 kilometers you have to convert this to meters first before plugging it into the formula.

If the sun is a certain "g" then can I multiply it by 10 to get the g of a 10 solar mass black hole?

The 'g' depends on where you are looking. It decreases as your distance gets farther away.

What is the g force (anomaly) of the sun?

There is none. "g-force" does not exist in science, it is a brand name of some PC videocards.

Nor does Sun have any known gravitational anomaly.

I tried to calculate this one using Newton's equation. I did this:

[(6.67 * 10^-11)(2 * 10^30)]/(0.7 * 10^6)

Where F = GM/r^2 ( I think), but I got 272244898, which seems really wrong.

I guess you tried to calculate acceleration of gravity of Sun near Sun's surface using Newtonian formula, but forgot to convert Sun's radius into meters and to square it (gravitation obeys inverse square law). Doing arithmetic a little more accurate, you would get 272 m/s2 which is about 28 times the acceleration of gravity of Earth (near Earth surface).

If you plug into denominator the distance between Earth and Sun, you'll get acceleration of gravity of Sun near Earth 0.0059 m/s2. Multiplying this by Earth mass 6x1024 kg you'll get weight of Earth 3.6x1022 N in gravitational field of Sun (the force with which Sun attracts Earth).

Alternatively, you can calculate Earth gravitational field in the vicinity of Sun plugging into above formula Earth mass and Earth-Sun distance (and you'll find that gravitational field of Earth is about 0.00000018 m/s2 strong in Sun's neighborhood), and then you can calculate Sun's weight in this gravitational field of Earth: w = mg = 3.6x1022 N (which is the force with which Earth attracts Sun).

I can't find it anywhere online and I'm trying to figure out the effect of the anomaly of a black hole on the oscillation of the fabric of spacetime due to gravitational wave propagation .

Don't worry about that much. This is incoherent set of words (which separately do have scientific meaning however). Try to use other combinations (and permutations) of them - one day you may get lucky and have more meaningful sentence, though it may take some time (because there are about 10 terms here if not to count prepositions, and 10! is a big number).

I think the first step is finding the force of the sun, then multiplying that by the number of solar masses that a black hole has to find its effects on the distortion of time, etc. PLEASE let me know if you know the g force or if I am approaching this in a completely wrong manner. Thanks!

I think first step is to practice more in arithmetic, second - to learn some algebra, third - to learn some basic physics (concepts of acceleration, of mass, of force, etc), forth - to learn Newtonian law of gravitation, forth - to learn calculus and more physics, fifth - to learn learn tensor calculus, sixths - to learn some General Relativity. Only then IMO you will be able to at least find a right combination of such terms as black hole, gravitational wave and gravitational anomaly. (Before that - beware of 10!, it is a big number).

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by enigma
The 'g' depends on where you are looking. It decreases as your distance gets farther away.

But for a constant distance, yes, G is a multiple of the mass.

1. What is the formula for calculating the Sun's G-Force on a body?

The formula for calculating the Sun's G-Force on a body is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the Sun and the body respectively, and r is the distance between the two bodies.

2. How does the Sun's G-Force affect objects in space?

The Sun's G-Force affects objects in space by exerting a gravitational force on them, causing them to accelerate towards the Sun. This force is stronger for objects closer to the Sun and weaker for objects farther away.

3. Can the Sun's G-Force cause anomalies in space?

Yes, the Sun's G-Force can cause anomalies in space. These anomalies can include orbital perturbations, where the gravitational pull of the Sun changes the orbit of a smaller body, and gravitational lensing, where the curvature of space-time near the Sun can bend light from distant objects.

4. How is the Sun's G-Force measured?

The Sun's G-Force can be measured using a variety of methods, including tracking the orbits of objects around the Sun, observing the effects of the Sun's gravity on nearby objects, and using mathematical models and simulations.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the Sun's G-Force?

Understanding the Sun's G-Force is crucial for space exploration and satellite operations. It can also help in predicting and understanding the effects of solar flares and other solar phenomena on Earth's atmosphere and communication systems. Additionally, studying the Sun's G-Force can give insight into the formation and evolution of our solar system and other planetary systems.