Polynomial and Rational Functions

In summary, the number of applicants to US medical schools from 1998-2009 can be approximated by the function A(t) = -6.7615t^4 + 114.87t^3 - 240.1t^3 - 2129t^2 + 40966, where t is the number of years since 1998. Based on the graph, the number of applicants increased during the years 1998-2000 and 2004-2009. To graph this equation on a TI-84 calculator, enter it in the Y= menu and adjust the viewing window until the entire graph is visible. However, the function provided may not accurately represent the number of applicants, as
arl2267
For the years 1998-2009, the number of applicants to US medical schools can be closely approximated by:

A(t)= -6.7615t4+114.87t3-240.1t3-2129t2+40,966

where t is the number of years since 1998.

a) graph the number of applicants on 0<= t <= 11

b) based on the graph in part a, during what years did the number of medical school applicants increase?If someone could explain to me how to enter the equation into a TI-84 that would be helpful. I know that you go to Y= and then enter in the equation, I get stuck on what to do after that. If I hit the graph button I don't see the full graph. How should I adjust the "window" values in order to see what the graph should look like? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
TI calculators generally understand implied multiplication. So you could enter this:

-6.7615x^4+114.87x^3-240.1x^3-2129x^2+40966

Note that I've changed the t's to x's - TI's sometimes prefer x as the independent variable. Also note the use of the "^" key, I think right above the "$\div$" key, at least if http://education.ti.com/guidebooks/graphing/84p/TI84PlusGuidebook_Part2_EN.pdf is the correct guide to your calculator.

As for seeing the whole graph, you'll need to keep increasing the y limits in your viewing window until you see the whole graph.

Are you sure you've typed up the function correctly? There are two cubic terms, and no linear term. That looks fishy to me, as does the plot of this function. There can't be negative applicants to medical school!

Related to Polynomial and Rational Functions

What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical expression that consists of coefficients and variables, with the variables raised to non-negative integer exponents. The highest exponent in a polynomial function is called its degree. Examples of polynomial functions include x^2 + 5x + 3 and 2x^3 - 6x^2 + 4x + 1.

What is the difference between a polynomial function and a rational function?

A rational function is a function that can be expressed as the ratio of two polynomial functions. In other words, a rational function is a fraction where the numerator and denominator are both polynomial functions. This means that all rational functions are also polynomial functions, but not all polynomial functions are rational functions.

What is the degree of a rational function?

The degree of a rational function is determined by the degree of its numerator and denominator. The degree of the rational function is equal to the degree of the numerator minus the degree of the denominator. For example, if the rational function is (3x^2 + 2x + 1)/(x + 1), the degree would be 2 since the degree of the numerator is 2 and the degree of the denominator is 1.

How do you find the zeros of a polynomial function?

The zeros of a polynomial function, also known as its roots, are the values of the variable that make the function equal to zero. To find the zeros, you can set the polynomial function equal to zero and solve for the variable using techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or synthetic division.

What is the domain of a rational function?

The domain of a rational function is all the values of the variable that make the function defined. In other words, it is the set of all real numbers except for the values that would make the denominator equal to zero, since dividing by zero is undefined. Therefore, the domain of a rational function is all real numbers except for the values that would make the denominator equal to zero.