Polygons can be designated as N-gons. What about vertices?

• Thread starter probiner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polygons
In summary, a vertex is designated with an E or an N, depending on its degree. A 2nd degree vertex, a 3rd degree vertex, and so on... are under the umbrella of "Poles." And a vertex is just a point with an nth degree.
probiner
Hi

In 3D modeling world, people refer to 3 sided polygons as tris, 4 sided as quads and >4 sides polygons as N-gons. Now, if I understand right, actually N-Gon refers to any. So instead of saying Triangle or Quadrilateral, I can say 3-gon and 4-gon and it would be correct, right?

What about vertices? What suffix is used or it would make sense to be used to refer to a vertex's degree/valence?

N-what.png

Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey probiner and welcome to the forums.

I haven't head of a postfix term for what you are describing, but then again I don't know much graph theory.

As a guess though maybe something like 4-valent vertex?

Hi :)
Well that's a bit like saying 4-point polygon. It's long and doesn't fit well a dissertation, I think (!), where you refer to many of these like a simple quantity.

My wishful thinking was something like a -tex suffix (for example) and then I could go on and say "one 6-tex can be converted into two 5-tex", "and by the way the same concepts that apply to a 5-gon, apply to a 5-tex because they are duals; different elements (vertex and polygon), but same valence" and so on... and then introduce some simple operations where you add and subtract values based on polygons and vertices valence number to get the sum. Like: one 5-gon & one 6-tex & four 3-tex = -1 area.

I'm also open to rational proposes for a suffix, if it's not in the books of Math, I can go along with an invented one, given that's it's not totally silly :)
Any ideas?

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
probiner said:
What about vertices? What suffix is used or it would make
sense to be used to refer to a vertex's degree/valence?

Why wouldn't you just refer to a vertex as having an nth degree?
A 2nd degree vertex, a 3rd degree vertex, and so on...

And just let bi-gons be bi-gons.

It has to be shorter =P I want a name that is easy, short, and that is rational or feels correct.

These vertices, especially the 3 degree and the 5 degree are under the umbrella of "Poles"
And are designated of E an N by this author (i'm the poster but it's a transcript): http://www.lightwiki.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22

I, on the hand, am a bit more abstract and less practical while I try to see connections and patters (underlying concepts) using a more open and less focused approach: http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=894021&postcount=24

The subject is the same, although I now need a feel for a more fit nomenclature and E and N don't fit at all. And I don't understand where the mathematical notion of "Pole" fits here at all. So it doesn't even look rational.

So here's a set of silly options:

N-tex
N-link
N-string

Any other?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Polygons can be designated as N-gons. What about vertices?

1. What does it mean for a polygon to be designated as an N-gon?

A polygon is designated as an N-gon when it has N number of sides. The prefix "N" represents any whole number, so an N-gon can have any number of sides as long as it is a whole number.

2. How many sides does a polygon need to have to be considered an N-gon?

As mentioned before, the prefix "N" represents any whole number, so a polygon can be designated as an N-gon if it has any number of sides as long as it is a whole number. This means that the number of sides can range from 3 (a triangle) to infinity.

3. What is the difference between a regular polygon and an N-gon?

A regular polygon is a polygon with all equal sides and angles, while an N-gon is any polygon with N number of sides. A regular polygon can also be considered an N-gon, where N is the number of sides it has.

4. Can a polygon with curved sides be designated as an N-gon?

No, a polygon with curved sides cannot be designated as an N-gon. The definition of a polygon states that it must have straight sides and angles. A curved shape, like a circle, is not considered a polygon.

5. How does the number of vertices relate to the number of sides in an N-gon?

The number of vertices in an N-gon is always equal to the number of sides plus 1. For example, a pentagon (5-gon) has 5 sides and 6 vertices. This is because each vertex connects two sides of the polygon, and the last vertex will connect the first and last sides to form a closed shape.