Polygons: Areas Homework Help & Hints

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a geometry problem involving the area of a triangle using different formulas. The problem includes given facts and the use of square bracket notation to represent angles. The student is unsure of how to solve the problem and is looking for clarification.
Jet1045

Homework Statement

(I have attached the problem to this post as a file)

Homework Equations

In class we learned other fomulas for the area of a triangle using the SAS case, ASA and SSS (Heron's).

The Attempt at a Solution

I am honestly so confused with this one. I have a bunch of random facts that are basically given in the question like [AFB]/[FEB] = AF/FE = 1. That CD/DE = 1/4. But I can't even solve (a). Any help or hints would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-11-26 at 10.41.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-11-26 at 10.41.52 PM.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
I've never seen the square bracket notation before, but I'm guessing that [ABC] would mean the angle at B subtended by the lines AB and BC?

So when the question says that [BDG] = 2, it's 2 what? 2 degrees?

Mentallic said:
I've never seen the square bracket notation before, but I'm guessing that [ABC] would mean the angle at B subtended by the lines AB and BC?

So when the question says that [BDG] = 2, it's 2 what? 2 degrees?

Oh sorry! I didn't know if that was standard notation or not... It just means the area of that shape :)

Related to Polygons: Areas Homework Help & Hints

What is a polygon?

A polygon is a two-dimensional geometric shape that is made up of straight lines connected at their endpoints. It must have three or more sides and angles.

What is the perimeter of a polygon?

The perimeter of a polygon is the total length of all its sides. To find the perimeter, simply add up the length of each side.

How do you calculate the area of a polygon?

The formula for calculating the area of a polygon depends on the type of polygon. For regular polygons, the area can be found by multiplying the apothem (distance from the center to a side) by the perimeter. For irregular polygons, you can divide the shape into smaller, simpler shapes and calculate the area of each one separately.

What is the difference between a regular and irregular polygon?

A regular polygon has all equal sides and angles, while an irregular polygon has sides and angles of different lengths and measures.

What is the relationship between the number of sides and angles in a polygon?

In any polygon, the number of sides will always be equal to the number of angles. For example, a pentagon (a polygon with 5 sides) will always have 5 angles. This is because each side and angle are connected at their endpoints, and they alternate around the shape.