Politicians can't control (or secure) the Internet

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of cyberattacks and internet security, with the main point being that the responsibility for securing the internet should be left to professionals rather than the government. The conversation also touches on the idea of ISPs and corporations taking responsibility for their own security measures, and the need for a "watchdog" body to monitor and enforce these measures. The conversation ends with a mention of the lack of action from ISPs in addressing abuse reports.
graphic7
Gold Member
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/12/07/tech.security.reut/index.html

I've made a previous post that stated how many relay attempts or exploit scans I receieve daily from foreign addresses. When is the government going to realize that a very small percentage of "cyberattacks (jeez, they should get with the times)," are orchestrated from within the United States' boarders? Certainly, strengthening the CIA or FBI cybercrime (there's that "cyber" again) divisions isn't going to help, given those authorities have no jurisdiction in China, for example.

What those respective agencies should be doing is giving Microsoft (just an example), a kick in the rear to increase their concerns about security. I'm thankful to see Firefox's wide acceptance, and the government's condemnation of Internet Explorer. This, however, is only a very small portion of the vulnerbilites available to a malicious attacker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
"Politicians can't control (or secure) the Internet"

Long may that statement hold True!...

Seriously why would you want them to? I think we should leave securing the internet to the professionals, like you and me! We all know about the exploits and as long as we keep up to date then we can more or less fight of most attacks...

A scan is like thinking about stealing some bread in a shop, perhaps even picking up the bread, but then desiding to put the bread down again with-out actually doing anything! I also receive these scans everyday on our Border Routers and Firewalls... If you leave your shop open over night and you get all you stock stolen then whos fault is it? The Goverments or yours?

A proper cracker Is not going to use his/her IP address when the are attempting to get into your Network, this "Foreign" address may well be someone proxying from within your Country the USA...

The internet is Free, some people will abuse the system its not perfect but I would prefer a free system of open standards, than one that isnt...

Spam is a different thing altogether, All Goverments should be lobbing the large Technology shops to devise methods to rid the internet of Spam...

Just my opinion

Anttech said:
"Politicians can't control (or secure) the Internet"

Long may that statement hold True!...

Seriously why would you want them to? I think we should leave securing the internet to the professionals, like you and me! We all know about the exploits and as long as we keep up to date then we can more or less fight of most attacks...

A scan is like thinking about stealing some bread in a shop, perhaps even picking up the bread, but then desiding to put the bread down again with-out actually doing anything! I also receive these scans everyday on our Border Routers and Firewalls... If you leave your shop open over night and you get all you stock stolen then whos fault is it? The Goverments or yours?

A proper cracker Is not going to use his/her IP address when the are attempting to get into your Network, this "Foreign" address may well be someone proxying from within your Country the USA...

The internet is Free, some people will abuse the system its not perfect but I would prefer a free system of open standards, than one that isnt...

Spam is a different thing altogether, All Goverments should be lobbing the large Technology shops to devise methods to rid the internet of Spam...

Just my opinion

Well, I concur that the government's responsbility shouldn't be to secure the Internet; it should be left to professionals. However, I'm growing tired of hearing moans and groans from Bush and all of his cronies about the demand for Internet security. The fact is, they can't do anything about it.

I say if they're going to talk about it, they need to enforce it by coming down on large Internet corporations, such as Microsoft that, at the moment, produce insecure software. This also brings up a different point of the argument - should the government only control (or be concerned with) residential or civilian Internet security, leaving corporate security to their respective IT departments? Afterall, most attacks are conducted (not neccessarily originate), from residential systems. Today, with broadband becoming commonplace, it's easy to gather up a few gigabits of bandwidth to conduct a DDOS attack.

As far as scanning is concerned, I suppose there are different natures of it. I don't mind being portscanned, however, I do care about waking up and noticing my Apache logs are filled with IIS garbage. That's openly trying to attack me, and I don't tolerate it.

Last edited:
Bush and all of his cronies about the demand for Internet security

Lets hope not, I have a feeling that Bush would have blockade up like in the UAE ISP's

should the government only control (or be concerned with) residential or civilian Internet security,

This should be the ISP's job IMHO, Perhaps the government should create a "watchdog" body that keeps checks on ISP's to ensure they are keeping the Internet as Secure as Possiable and DDOS free!

Any company who looks after any Border Gateway routers should be charged with keeping DDOS under survalance within their AS, and also other security anonlomies

Anttech said:
Lets hope not, I have a feeling that Bush would have blockade up like in the UAE ISP's

This should be the ISP's job IMHO, Perhaps the government should create a "watchdog" body that keeps checks on ISP's to ensure they are keeping the Internet as Secure as Possiable and DDOS free!

Any company who looks after any Border Gateway routers should be charged with keeping DDOS under survalance within their AS, and also other security anonlomies

I haven't thought about that. I have a very poor opinion of ISPs (most, very few exceptions). I've emailed abuse@*, time after time, and nothing is ever done. From time to time, the subject of the abuse emails is quite serious, such as a real system compromise; however, in that instance the ISP did nothing (never even received a reply).

Related to Politicians can't control (or secure) the Internet

1. Why can't politicians control or secure the Internet?

The Internet is a vast and constantly evolving network that connects billions of devices and users worldwide. It is made up of various interconnected networks and systems that are not owned or controlled by any one entity. As such, it is not feasible for politicians to have complete control or security over the entire Internet.

2. What challenges do politicians face in controlling or securing the Internet?

One of the main challenges is the decentralized nature of the Internet, which makes it difficult for any single entity to have complete authority. Additionally, the constantly changing technology and the global reach of the Internet make it challenging for politicians to implement and enforce regulations that would effectively control or secure it.

3. Can't politicians pass laws to regulate the Internet?

While politicians can pass laws and regulations related to the Internet, these laws may not be effective in controlling or securing the Internet. This is because the Internet is not limited to one country or jurisdiction, and laws may vary across different regions. It is also challenging to enforce laws on the Internet due to the anonymity and encryption of online activities.

4. What role do other entities, such as tech companies, play in controlling or securing the Internet?

Tech companies play a significant role in the control and security of the Internet. They are responsible for developing and maintaining the technology that powers the Internet, as well as implementing security measures to protect their users' data. However, they also have their own agendas and may not always align with the interests of politicians.

5. Is it possible for politicians to work with other stakeholders to improve Internet control and security?

Yes, collaboration between politicians, tech companies, and other stakeholders is crucial in improving Internet control and security. By working together, they can develop and implement policies and technologies that address the challenges and risks associated with the Internet. However, it is important to balance the need for control and security with the importance of preserving the openness and freedom of the Internet.