The Kyoto Protocol: A Global Effort to Combat Climate Change

• Thread starter DE NERO
  • Start date
In summary, the Kyoto agreement was a global conference held a few years ago with the goal of uniting political leaders worldwide to agree on reducing their countries' emissions of greenhouse gases. Almost every country, except the US, agreed to cut their emissions to some extent, with a future target in mind. The US and Australia did not participate in the Kyoto protocol, and there may be other countries that have not signed onto it as well.
DE NERO
[SOLVED] What is the Kyoto agreement?

Can anyone tell me what the Kyoto agreement was?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't give you exact data/figures off the top of my head, but it was a global conference a few years ago, whose aim was to unite political leaders worldwide in agreeing to reduce their countries emissions of greenhouse gases etc. I think almost every (if not every ) country except the US (under Clinton at the time) agreed to cut their emissions to some extent, with a future target, eg. 2010 in mind. The US didn't agree ( ) because they thought it would damage their economy too much I believe. Probably better asking google if you're wanting more details than that...

This might be true, but a rather boring read on the articles of the Kyoto protocol:
http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/convkp/kpeng.html

In addition to the U.S. not participating in the Kyoto protocol/treaty, Austraila has chosen not to participate either, there are likely many other countries that haven't signed into it either as it is a United Nations project.

What is the Kyoto agreement?

The Kyoto Protocol is an international agreement created in 1997 as an addition to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. It aims to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions and combat climate change.

Who is involved in the Kyoto agreement?

The Kyoto Protocol has been signed by 192 countries, including developed and developing nations. Notable exceptions include the United States, which withdrew from the agreement in 2001, and Canada, which withdrew in 2012.

What are the main goals of the Kyoto agreement?

The main goal of the Kyoto Protocol is to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions by at least 5% below 1990 levels by 2020. It also includes provisions for developed countries to provide financial and technological support to developing countries for their efforts to reduce their emissions.

Has the Kyoto agreement been successful?

The effectiveness of the Kyoto Protocol has been a subject of debate. While some countries have met or exceeded their emission reduction targets, others have not. Additionally, the withdrawal of major emitters such as the United States has limited its impact.

What are the criticisms of the Kyoto agreement?

One major criticism of the Kyoto Protocol is that it only targets developed countries, while exempting developing countries from emission reduction targets. This has led to concerns about unfair burden sharing and the effectiveness of the agreement in addressing climate change on a global scale.