Pole leaning against wall - Kleppner

In summary, the conversation is about finding the constraint for the vertical and horizontal acceleration of a leaning pole with pivoted masses attached to its ends. The attempted solution involves using the fact that the length of the pole is constant and using the second derivative to solve for the acceleration. However, the given solution suggests considering the components of acceleration along the rod.
RedDelicious
Hello, all. I've just been working on Kleppner to touch up on my knowledge of mechanics and general problem solving skills and I'm running into a bit of trouble on this leaning pole one in chapter 2.

1. Homework Statement

A pole of negligible mass leans against a wall, at angle θ with the horizontal. Gravity is directed down.

(a) Find the constraint relating the vertical acceleration of one end to the horizontal acceleration of the other.

(b) Now suppose that each end carries a pivoted mass M. Find the initial vertical and horizontal components of acceleration as the pole just begins to slide on the frictionless wall and floor. Assume that at the beginning of the motion the forces exerted by the rod are along the line of the rod. (As the motion progresses, the system rotates and the rod exerts sidewise forces.)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) I used the fact that the length of the pole is going to be constant and so

[tex]

x^2+y^2=L^2 \\ 2xx'+2yy'=0 \\ xx'+yy'=0 \\

[/tex]

Taking the second time derivative,

[tex]

\left(x'\right)^2+xx''+\left(y'\right)^2+yy''=0 \\

[/tex]

Because the pole is at rest, we can let the velocity terms be zero and so we have,

[tex]

xx''=-yy'' \\

x''=-tan\left(\theta \right)y''

[/tex]

Now for part b). After we attach the masses to the ends.

The forces acting on the mass that is along the y-axis, is the gravitational force and the normal force because it's against the wall. The normal force pushing it against the wall must be due to the pole and so it is acting at an angle theta to the mass. The vertical component of this force is given by sine of theta. That is,

[tex]
my''\:=\:F_psin\left(\theta \right)-mg
[/tex]

The forces acting the mass on the ground are the gravitational force, the normal force, and the force by the pole. In this case because the mass is resting flat on the ground, the normal force will cancel out it's weight, and so the net force acting on it is just the force due to the pole. That is,

[tex]
mx''\:=\:F_psin\left(\theta \right)
[/tex]

Solving for y'' and x'' using the first constraint equation

[tex]
my''\:=\:mx''-mg\\y''=x''-g \\ y''\:=-tan\left(\theta \right)y''-g\\ \\~\\ y''=-\frac{g}{1+tan\left(\theta \right)}
\hspace{1cm}
x''=\frac{gtan\left(\theta \right)}{1+tan\left(\theta \right)}
[/tex]

However, the answers given are (below), and I for the life of me can't figure out can't see what I'm doing wrong. I even reluctantly studied the full solution and for whatever reason still can't make sense of it / what I'm doing wrong. Any help is much appreciated.

[tex]

y''\:=\:-gcos^2\left(\theta \right)
\hspace{1cm}
x''\:=\:gcos\left(\theta \right)sin\left(\theta \right)

[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a, there is an easier way. Just consider the components of acceleration along the rod.
RedDelicious said:
mx′′=Fpsin(θ)
You might care to reconsider that.

Likes RedDelicious

Related to Pole leaning against wall - Kleppner

1. What is the significance of the pole leaning against the wall in Kleppner's experiment?

The pole leaning against the wall serves as a simple example of a physical system that can be analyzed using principles of mechanics and conservation of energy.

2. What materials are typically used for the pole and the wall in this experiment?

The pole is usually made of a lightweight and rigid material such as aluminum or wood, while the wall is typically made of a solid surface like concrete or brick.

3. How does the angle at which the pole is leaning affect its stability?

The angle at which the pole is leaning against the wall determines its center of mass and can affect its stability. A greater angle increases the distance between the center of mass and the point of support, making the pole more unstable and prone to tipping over.

4. What other factors besides the angle of the pole can affect its stability?

The length and thickness of the pole, as well as the surface properties of the wall, can also affect the stability of the pole. Additionally, any external forces acting on the pole, such as wind or vibrations, can impact its stability.

5. How does the pole leaning against the wall relate to real-life applications?

The concept of a pole leaning against a wall can be seen in various real-life situations, such as a ladder leaning against a building or a flagpole leaning against the ground. Understanding the principles behind this simple experiment can also help engineers in designing stable structures and objects.