Polarizing filter synthesis and dynamics

In summary, the conversation is about finding sources for studying polarized light and synthesis of polarizers. The speaker has found several sources but is looking for a more systematic course on the topic. They mention a specific search term and a Wikipedia article, but also express the need for more comprehensive information.
mohamed_a
I have found a fair amount of sources for studying polarized light but I haven't found sources discussing synthesis of polarizers in detail along with mechanistic discussion.

Science news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Have you tried the Google search term Polaroid filter fabrication? :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaroid_(polarizer)
i found several articles and papers on advanced syntheses but i was thinking of a more systematic course (a boo like course (intro-mechanism-types-synthesis))

mohamed_a said:
i found several articles and papers on advanced syntheses but i was thinking of a more systematic course (a boo like course (intro-mechanism-types-synthesis))
I'm sorry, I'm not able to parse what you said. Can you post links that you've found that are still confusing you? Did you read the (simple) Polaroid filter Wikipedia article?

Related to Polarizing filter synthesis and dynamics

1. What is a polarizing filter and how does it work?

A polarizing filter is a type of optical filter that is used to selectively block certain polarized light waves while allowing others to pass through. It is made up of a material that has long, thin molecules aligned in a specific direction. When light passes through the filter, only the waves that are aligned with the molecules can pass through, while the others are blocked or absorbed. This results in a reduction of glare and reflections, as well as an increase in contrast and color saturation.

2. How are polarizing filters synthesized?

Polarizing filters are usually synthesized by stretching a plastic or polymer film, such as polyvinyl alcohol (PVA), in a specific direction. This process aligns the long molecules in the film and creates the desired polarizing effect. The film is then sandwiched between two layers of glass or plastic to protect it and make it easier to handle.

3. What are the different types of polarizing filters?

There are two main types of polarizing filters: linear and circular. Linear polarizing filters only allow light waves that are aligned in a specific direction to pass through, while circular polarizing filters not only block certain waves but also rotate the polarization of the remaining light. Circular polarizing filters are commonly used in photography to reduce glare and reflections and enhance colors.

4. How do polarizing filters affect image quality?

When used correctly, polarizing filters can significantly improve the quality of images by reducing glare and reflections and enhancing colors and contrast. However, if not used properly, they can also cause unwanted darkening or color shifts in the image. It is important to understand the correct angle and direction of the filter in relation to the light source for optimal results.

5. What are the applications of polarizing filters?

Polarizing filters have a wide range of applications in various industries. In photography, they are commonly used to reduce glare and reflections in landscapes, water, and glass surfaces. They are also used in scientific research to study polarized light and in LCD screens to control the direction of light. Other applications include sunglasses, 3D glasses, and polarimeters used in chemistry and physics experiments.