Polarized Light and Filters: Understanding the Basics

In summary, the conversation is about polarized light and the use of polar filters. The speaker has two questions about the filters, specifically asking if they are figuratively or literally slats, and why a certain wave would be blocked when passing through a filter. The speaker then clarifies that they have found the answer they were looking for.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

Not really a problem, but a question that my professor could not answer (Well the TA).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In an image such as this, illustrating polarized light:
r.Polarization.Circularly.Polarized.Light_Circular.Polarizer_Creating.Left.Handed.Helix.View.svg.png

I have 2 questions.
1.) Are the filters illustrated with slats as an analogy, or are the filters quite literally tiny slats in a particular angle that enable only a certain portion of the wave through?

2.) If a linear polarized wave at let's say 90 degrees passes through a polar filter which allows only 180 degree waves to pass, why is it blocked? It seems to me like a little bit of light would sputter out proportional to the frequency.

Physics news on Phys.org
Disregard this, I found what I was looking for. Thanks

Related to Polarized Light and Filters: Understanding the Basics

1. What is polarized light?

Polarized light refers to light waves that vibrate in a specific direction, rather than in all directions. This is achieved through the use of a polarizing filter, which blocks out light waves traveling in all but one direction.

2. How do polarized filters work?

Polarized filters are made up of a special material that only allows light waves vibrating in a specific direction to pass through. These filters are commonly used in sunglasses and camera lenses to reduce glare and improve clarity.

3. What is the purpose of polarized light and filters?

Polarized light and filters have a variety of uses, including reducing glare from reflective surfaces such as water and glass, improving visibility in certain lighting conditions, and enhancing the colors and contrast in photographs.

4. Can polarized light and filters be harmful to the eyes?

No, polarized light and filters are not harmful to the eyes. In fact, they can be beneficial in reducing eye strain and improving visual clarity in bright, sunny conditions. However, it is important to choose high-quality filters to ensure they are properly protecting your eyes.

5. Are polarized filters necessary for all types of light?

No, polarized filters are most effective in reducing glare from horizontal light waves, such as those reflected off of water or pavement. They may not provide much benefit in other lighting conditions, such as indoor lighting or diffused sunlight.