Polarization of Reflected Beam

In summary, the problem involves a beam of light traveling in air and hitting a glass surface at a 45 degree angle. The light is polarized at 45 degrees with respect to the plane of incidence. Using boundary conditions and Fresnel's equations, we can calculate the polarization of the reflected beam by splitting the incoming electric field into σ and π components and applying the rules for reflection percentage.
H12504106

Homework Statement

A beam of light traveling in air hits a glass surface with refractive index 1.5 at 45 degree angle. The light is polarised at 45 degrees with respect to the plane of incidence. Calculate the polarization of the reflected beam.

Homework Equations

Boundary Conditions: E[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{||}[/itex] = E[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]^{||}[/itex] and [itex]\mu_{2}[/itex]B[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{||}[/itex] = [itex]\mu_{1}[/itex]B[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]^{||}[/itex]

Also, from the polarization: E[itex]_{I}[/itex][itex]^{||}[/itex] = E[itex]_{I}[/itex][itex]^{\bot}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I apply the first boundary condition to obtain E[itex]_{I}[/itex]cos45 + E[itex]_{R}[/itex]cos45 = E[itex]_{T}[/itex]cosθ.
I suppose i can do the same thing using the second boundary condition. I don't really understand how to compute the polarization of the reflected beam. Am i suppose to calculate the reflection coefficient to determine the polarization. Also, how does the initial polarization of 45 degree plays a part here. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Split the incoming electric field (forget the B field altogether) into σ ad π components. The σ component is parallel to the glass surface. The π component is orthogonal to the direction of propagation and the σ component.

Then apply the rules for σ and π reflection percentage as a function of the angle of incidence.

This link is a huge help:
http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/ugrad/389/FresnelsEqns.ppt#257,1,Fresnel's Equations for Reflection and Refraction

Last edited:

Related to Polarization of Reflected Beam

What is polarization of reflected beam?

Polarization of reflected beam refers to the orientation of the electric field of light as it bounces off a surface. This can be either linear or circular, and it affects the brightness and contrast of the reflected light.

How does polarization of reflected beam occur?

Polarization of reflected beam occurs when light reflects off a smooth surface at an angle. The reflected light becomes polarized, meaning the electric field oscillates in a specific direction parallel to the surface.

What is the difference between linear and circular polarization of reflected beam?

Linear polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field in a straight line, either horizontally or vertically. Circular polarization, on the other hand, refers to the electric field rotating in a circular motion.

Can the polarization of reflected beam be changed?

Yes, the polarization of reflected beam can be changed by using a polarizing filter. This filter only allows light with a certain orientation of electric field to pass through, blocking light with other orientations.

How is the polarization of reflected beam used in everyday life?

Polarization of reflected beam is used in everyday life in various ways, such as in sunglasses to reduce glare, in 3D glasses to create the illusion of depth, and in LCD screens to control the intensity of light passing through the screen.